Tivo series 2 disk crash w/ no backup

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Vincent Pollinzi, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Vincent Pollinzi

Vincent Pollinzi New Member

Jul 16, 2017

Advertisements

believe it or not i'm still or i was using a tivo series 2 dvr and the hard drive has crashed. i'm unable to access the drive from linux or windows and was wondering if anyone might have an image i could load on to a new drive. i've search high and low online with no success. any help would be delightful.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Make your post in this forum and provide the specific Tivo model number.
    TiVo Upgrade Center

3. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    There are many different S2 models, which one do you need a image for?

4. Vincent Pollinzi

Jul 16, 2017
    Yeah, that would help. Sorry about that.
    I do have TiVo Lifetime Service on it and have provided model information below. Let me know if any additional information is needed.
    DVR 7275
    540-0001-708A-7275
    Series2 ST 40hr

5. worachj

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN

Advertisements

I have an old S2 model 540 image for an 80gig hard drive that you can try. I have no idea which version it is, but I know it wasn’t the latest. I’m pretty sure TiVo will not upgrade it to the latest version. So you may want to wait and see if someone has an image with latest software.

540 image 80 gig drive.
    Dropbox - TiVo Model 540 backup(80 gig).tbk

TiVo Legacy DVR Software Info
    https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/TiVo-Legacy-DVR-Software-Info

6. Vincent Pollinzi

Jul 16, 2017
    I appreciate the feedback and may very well try the 540 image, (80 gig drive). I really want image for TCD540040 if possible so will post to TiVo Upgrade Center forum as suggested and see if I get any hits. Thanks again!

7. VinceP33

VinceP33 New Member

Jul 22, 2017
    worachj Just wanted to give you a huge THANKS for the image. I was able to restore with WinNFS onto a larger drive after reformatting. I was then able to update software, clear all data in order to pair with my motherboard and everything seems to be working fine.
    PS - I changed my display name to protect the innocent but am same guy as posted threads above.

worachj likes this.
  8. blue7477

blue7477 New Member

Apr 26, 2020
    worachj - I am in a similar situation where I got a GSOD and so the image I have is no good. If you have the image like you have July 17th,2017, I would appreciate it.
    - 540 image X gig drive.

9. worachj

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
  10. blue7477

blue7477 New Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Thanks @worachj . The image let me boot, and I am 1 step closer. Now Tivo is asking for a cable info zip code and not finding any data, in any zip code I give it. Any suggestions? I am also looking at other posts of people that have similar issues.

11. worachj

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    Guided setup keeps telling me there are no providers or channels in my zip code
    Seems like others have had the same problem and got it to work using 00000 as the zip code.

12. blue7477

blue7477 New Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Thanks, actually after a couple reboots, Tivo automatically did an update, and that fixed this zip code issue(I could put my zip code in). After that, I had to do a 'Clear everything and Delete' in the Tivo menu to fix the Error 51. I think Tivo should work now, I have not done a recording yet, but everything looks normal!!

HerronScott and worachj like this.
  13. Ronnie Poofs

Ronnie Poofs New Member

May 20, 2020
    I have a Toshiba SD-H400 Series 2 Tivo device. The hard drive took a dump. I tried cloning it but the drive has too many read errors to complete and fails to boot. Is there anywhere I can download the Tivo Series 2 operating system to install on a new drive? Please advise. Thanks!

14. blue7477

blue7477 New Member

Apr 26, 2020
    When I had that problem, I used MFS Tools to download an image to the hard drive. The hard part is to find that image. As you can see above, I was looking for a 540 image. But you will need a SD-H400 image. Search on these posts and maybe you can find one. When you search also look for a 264 image, I read it from the chart here: https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/TiVo-Legacy-DVR-Software-Info (from the post above)

15. Ronnie Poofs

Ronnie Poofs New Member

May 20, 2020
    Awesome thanks! I have MFS Tools at the ready. So now the search for the OS begins! Appreciate being pointed in the right direction! :)

16. Ronnie Poofs

Ronnie Poofs New Member

May 20, 2020
    Oh man I found this link and was able to go through all the steps and locate the image for my particular model# but the link to the ISO is MIA! :-(
    Interactive TiVo Upgrade Instructions