TiVo Series 2 - Channels Disappearing

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by HowieJim, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Aug 9, 2011 #1 of 11
    HowieJim

HowieJim New Member

Aug 9, 2011
    I have a TiVo Series 2, no thrills DVR. It's from 2004 with a 40GB Harddrive. No dual or anything. We have Wide Open West Cable that is digital. I basically split the cable, one going to my cable box and one going to my TiVo. This has worked beautifully with my TiVo only getting channels up to 100, while my digital cable gets channels higher.

Recently though, all of a sudden, we no longer got any channels above 50. This wasn't too much of a hassle as we rarely ever recorded any channels above 50 but could just watch them through the cable box. However, now we all of a sudden lost all channels above 34! This takes out my daily recording of The Colbert Report on Comedy Central. All of our channels through the cable box work fine. I understood that I wouldn't get the channels digitally through the TiVo, but they still worked up until recently. Anyone have any ideas why it's not working all of a sudden with those channels?

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Because your cable company moved them to digital.

Call your cable company and request a DTA (Digital Transport Adapter). You will need to find your IR blaster or buy a new one or one of the direct control cables that are available. This will give the TiVo access to a subset of the digital channels.

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You misunderstood the capabilities of your TiVo. While internally digital, it is purely analog to the outside world. That means itself cannot tune/record digital sources, so you need an external digital tuner box, which is what a DTA is.

4. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I don't know to which one of us this is directed but it is untrue in either case. The OP knows that his TiVo can only tune analog channels and I know exactly what a DTA is. One thing it is not is the equivalent of a full cable box since:

A. It can only access a subset of the digital channels.

B. Its only output is via an RF modulator so that, even if your cable system still has some analog channels, you can't hook a DTA to a DT TiVo and still use both tuners. (Although there is at least one person who has a DTA hooked to a VCR and uses it to feed A/V to his DT TiVo)

5. HowieJim

HowieJim New Member

Aug 9, 2011
    James, thanks much for your reply. Thought I'd take these things one thing at a time. I got the DTA now and have it activated. Now I think I need the next part of your message above, but you totally lost me with it.

With the DTA I got a new remote and I change channels in that but have to leave my TiVo on channel 3, which obviously doesn't allow my TiVo to switch and record channels as usual. So I get that I have to have my TiVo have access to the subset of the digital channels, but don't know how to do any of this: "You will need to find your IR blaster or buy a new one or one of the direct control cables that are available."

Can you walk me through this? Thanks much! :)

6. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    An IR blaster is a cable that shipped with the TiVo that enabled it to send remote control commands to a cable box or satellite receiver. They used to include one with a TiVo. The included one looked like this:

[​IMG]

It plugs into the IR port on the back of you TiVo. At the other end is a pair of IR(InfraRed) emitters that go in front of the DTA's remote control receiver. If you can't find yours, you can get a replacement from weakNees or TiVo or a generic one from a lot of places.

You might also consider This direct connect adapter cable See if your DTA model is in the compatibility list. It should be a more reliable alternative to an IR Blaster.

See Adding a Digital Transport Adapter to your existing setup and Setting up IR channel changing with a Digital Transport Adapter for instructions on how to set up your TiVo to utilize a DTA.

You've already done part of it. Now you just have to enable the TiVo to control the DTA. Then tell the TiVo about it by redoing guided setup.

7. HowieJim

HowieJim New Member

Aug 9, 2011
    James, you're the best - thanks!!! I'll get cracking on all of this and let you know how it goes. I know we had the IR blaster, just don't know if I'll be able to find it. Hopefully!

8. HowieJim

HowieJim New Member

Aug 9, 2011
    James, got it working now - thanks so much!

I'm sure I had the IR Blaster cable somewhere, but I searched and searched and couldn't find it - so finally just ordered that cable from the link you gave off of eBay. I think I ordered it on Saturday and it got here today - wow! Anyhow, went through the guided set-up and all working now. Thanks again for your help!

Btw, on my TiVo guide, it shows that I have channels over 100. They used to never show up on my channel list before using this IR Cable. But I can't get to them. If I click like 170 on my TiVo remote, I'll see the 1-7-0 show up like it's trying to go there, but it just jumps back to 100. The TiVo thinks it's at 170 though, cause if you hit channel down, it'll try jumping to the next lower channel on the TiVo indicated channel, but just keep defaulting to 100 through the cable box. I'm not really concerned about it though as I don't use those channels anyhow, but any ideas?

9. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You should go into TiVo <Settings-Channels-Channel List> and deselect all of the channels above 100. The TiVo thinks that it is controlling a regular cable box and has access to channels that the DTA can't actually tune to.

10. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Glad to hear that the direct control cable works. Much better solution than the IR blaster anyway.

11. HowieJim

HowieJim New Member

Aug 9, 2011
    okay, makes sense. Thanks again!

Peace!