TIVO series 2 as a tv tuner a closed caption tuner for an lcd monitor

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by supercoqui, Mar 24, 2007.

1. supercoqui

supercoqui New Member

Mar 24, 2007

Advertisements

Good day experts,

First time I stumbled around your site. I have spend the last 3 days reading around different post and sticking different information together. I just need a little help to make it all together. Here is my dilemma.

1. I have a high definition 22 inch wide screen monitor, it has DVI, analog(VGA), composite, S-video and component input, no speaker, no tv tuner.

2. I have a 5.1 home theatre for all audio needs.

3. Tivo series 2 connected to monitor, acting as a tv tuner and connected directly to tv tuner..

Everything is working perfectly, the only thing I am lacking are closed captions.

I was reading about Dtivo series 2, tivovbi and others. As I understand TIVOVBI can make the closed caption be displayed on the monitor.

How do I install it and use it?? what things should I watch out for?? Also found this post on dealtime (dealtime_com/forum/showthread_php?t=41313)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thread continues cross-platform development for embeem's tivovbi. tivovbi is a userland program that grabs VBI (closed caption and XDS) data destined for the video outputs, and dumps it to the console, a file, or the on-screen display. tivovbi is commonly used to produce transcripts of television programs, and to implement on-screen captions on monitors that do not support CC.

Changes in the 20050202 release:

- added preliminary series2.5 osd support (surface creation may be faulty)
    - added -r (remote) option and -w (wait) option

Prior work on tivovbi can be found in these threads:

Original tivovbi 1.03 release thread
    Series2 OSD and tivovbi work

The -r option allows the user to toggle captioning from the remote control. More details are in the README. This option requires a Series2.0/Series2.5 machine at TiVo software 4.0 or above, and the routerplus kernel module found here.

On a Series1, tivovbi will run as-is.

On a Series2.0/Series2.5, tivovbi requires the s2vbi/pxmpegdecode module (in post #2).

Usage examples can be found in the README. This is how I run it on startup:

Code:
    export VBI_MODULE=/lib/modules/pxmpegdecode.o
    /usr/local/bin/tivovbi -c1 -oC -r0 -w

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Get a CC box, it will be much easier.

3. rpdre1

rpdre1 New Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Later on in that same thread, at the end of post 5 I made some quick instructions: /forum/showthread.php?p=272336#post272336

You don't have to read that whole post, just scroll down to the part that says "Some quick instructions:" in bold (search the page if you have to).... If you can't follow those instructions, just give up.

I recommend you use the instructions in post 5 with the binaries attached to post 6.

4. supercoqui

supercoqui New Member

Mar 24, 2007
    great thanks... I will try it this week rpdre1 :D

5. supercoqui

supercoqui New Member

Mar 24, 2007

Advertisements

Weird, I am trying to go to the post you indicated on dealtime and it is not appearing.

6. rpdre1

rpdre1 New Member

Feb 20, 2005
    dealtime? I thought that was a typo in your first post.... it's deal data base, without the spaces.