Tivo Series 2 and Dish Network.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MacUnkie, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Oct 6, 2011 #1 of 12
    MacUnkie

MacUnkie New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    I have an old Series 2 that works great. I recently rented a room from a guy that has dish network. He doesn't have any extra boxes and the closest Dish Net work office location is 50 miles away.

I was browsing Ebay and it looks like there is number of affordable boxes.
    Can someone recommend a Dish Net Work box , something use, that I can use to get my Tivo up and running ?

Thanks for any help,

Samuel.

2. Oct 6, 2011 #2 of 12
    classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Any of them, so long as it has IR control, and composite/S-video A/V out.

3. Oct 6, 2011 #3 of 12
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are/were there any with serial control?

4. Oct 7, 2011 #4 of 12
    classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Nope. Only some DirecTV receivers, and some Motorola cable boxes have/had serial control. Dish receivers are IR only.

5. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Some Dish boxes use RF remote controls to access the box. An IR to RF kit can be purchased that would allow your TiVo to control the TV2 of a Duo Dish box or even a TV1 on some Dish boxes that have the TV1 RF option.

adding another box to an existing Dish system could be a problem if the install was not designed to support additional boxes. What you want can be done, but this is NOT the forum for such information as there is a lot to learn about Dish and DirecTV systems and boxes because there are a lot of variations of systems and if you don't know what you are doing, you will be wasting a lot of money. Satellite is NOT like cable TV in the technical sense, specs, etc. It is a different beast. Please go to satelliteguysus dot com and ask around there. They can help you best for what you want to do.

However, if you find it too costly to do what you are thinking of, you may be better off paying Dish for an upgrade DVR, and they will upgrade the system to support it at no additional cost. From as little as $50 to $100 for SD DVR's; all labor and parts to upgrade the system, if necessary, is all included.

Good luck.

6. swinca

swinca Menace to society

Jun 19, 2003
    Jaw-ja y'all
    My S2 works just fine with the Dish 311 standard receiver. When I had a problem with one of my receivers they shipped a replacement. I'm sure they could ship a receiver to you if you wanted to get one from them instead of eBay.

7. MacUnkie

MacUnkie New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Ya , I ordered a 311 from Ebay and it didn't come with the card. I was upset because the seller didn't disclose this. Buy I'm new and should have known. I found another one for $45 WITH the card. I'll end up selling the additional receiver back on ebay (at a loss), but live and learn.

Thanks for all the help.

Samuel.

8. Series3Sub

Mar 14, 2010
    Please let us know if Dish is still activating boxes purchased on Ebay. If they haven't already, they will soon no longer activate boxes purchased from auction sites (carig'slist, etc.) precisely because of your bad experience. Too many people ripped-off, and yes, those sellers do know better and what they are doing, along with boxes that have charges that have NOT been paid, and YOU have to clear the bill (sometimes over $50) before Dish will activate it, or you are sold a DISH OWNED LEASED box and Dish will NOT activate such a box, and you've wasted more money. All this has caused Dish to soon (if not already) NOT activate any boxes sold from auction sites.

PLEASE DON'T DO WHAT TOO MANY OTHERS HAVE AND WASTED MONEY:
    Also, if you are attempting to ADD a box to the existing system (that seems to be what you are trying to do based on your OP), you may NOT be able to do this as the current installed system MAY NOT SUPPORT IT! Please, this is NOT cable TV; it won't work the way you think it will. If the system needs to be upgraded, A DIY can be VERY expensive, and may require a change-out of the LNBF's at the reflector (get a ladder for that) along with, possibly, additional NEW support equipment (switches, etc.)

UNLESS YOU'VE REALLY RESEARCHED THIS AND KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, YOUR BEST OPTION:
    Call Dish and ask about an upgrade to one of their DVR's or one of their NON-DVR boxes. It could cost you about what you've spent so far (maybe less), and certainly LESS than if you have to do a DIY.

I know you want to use the TiVo, but it may not be possible in your situation UNLESS you upgrade to the additional box (DVR or NON-DVR) through Dish or are willing to spend lots more money for a DIY or really understand the maze of DBS technology. Again, if you haven't, please visit satelliteguysus.dotcom and ask about what you want to do there and get excellent information to really understand what you are getting into.

Please let us know what happens.

9. Series3Sub

Mar 14, 2010
    You have a case to take this to Ebay to get your money back as part of Ebay's guarantee. I used it with a dishonest seller and it is GREAT! I got ALL my money back. This is clearly a case of the seller having done a "bad". Initiate a claim and follow the process and ask for ALL your money back, including shipping. I'm 100% confident you will get your money back.

NO ONE is gonna buy a Dish box WITHOUT a card (waiting for a sucker?) because ONLY the ORIGINAL card that came with the box will allow the box to work. In other words there is NO HOPE. You have a BRICK and they have no value as "spare parts" because it won't work without the original card and people get broken boxes replaced for free and they can't work on them anyway because most people DON'T OWN the box.

Note: Dish does upgrade cards for the latest encryption ONLY if the original card is sent back for something like $50+. Also, I believe Dish will replace damaged/defective cards for about the same cost ($50+) ONLY for currently active boxes on active accounts. In your case, if you have NO CARD (specifically the card that was MARRIED to that box) you have NO LUCK, but you do have a brick.

Will you please go to satelliteguysus dot com and ask around and get a glimpse of the maze you are about to enter.

10. Series3Sub

Mar 14, 2010
    Also, please be aware that on LATER and current models of Dish boxes, the cards are BUILT-INside the box and out of sight, so the card slot in front will be empty. That slot is for future use should (really WHEN) Dish changes encryption that requires a new card.

11. don-north

don-north New Member

Nov 6, 2008
    I have just moved from cable to Dish Network and would like to keep my series II Tivo box. I had no issue updating the channels and the recording data. But, now I would like to use the DNW TV(tuner)2, which is RF, as the tuner to be controled by Tivo. So, I am looking for an IR to RF converter that someone has already been using and knows works. All help is appreciated.

Thanks

12. Series3Sub

Mar 14, 2010
    The RF to IR converter is sold by many independent Dish on-line retailers and is a Dish branded device as a trusted solution to those who needed such a device. You could try TheDishStore or google the device to purchase. I'm not sure, but Dish Network may even sell them directly. You can check the Dish website and go to the store or accessories page and they list remotes, etc.

Which Dish box do you have? I'll presume the 322. I'm not sure, but I think the TiVo (along with other 3rd party remotes) may be limited to using only Access Code #1 and none of the other 36 Access Codes. So, you may have to be certain the the TV2 Remote Access is #1. You may be required to change TV1's Access Code to a number OTHER than #1.