Tivo Series 2 and Directv

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Beerdawg, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Beerdawg

Beerdawg New Member

Aug 6, 2006

Advertisements

I have had Tivo for over a yr and just got Directv. I went back to setup the tivo to recieve Directv programming. I get to the point where I have to choose a serial or ir for tivo to change channels. The problem is on my Directv I have no where to plug either in. What do I need to do to use my Tivo with Directv? Thanks

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Which model DirecTV receiver do you have? Some can be made to work with a USB-to-Serial adapter from www.patersontech.com Otherwise you'll have to use IR. The IR emitter plugs into the TiVo (the "IR OUT" jack), not the DirecTV receiver. You position the "bulb" end of the emitter so it shines onto the remote sensor on the DirecTV box.

3. Beerdawg

Beerdawg New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    I think it is Directv d12 box.

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Ok - then my above suggestion is correct. Either use IR or buy the Paterson converter.

Or, you may want to switch to an integrated DVR. DirecTV has their own or you can find TiVo-based models on the resale market. You'll lose the networking features, but gain dual tuners, Dolby Digital recording and better picture quality. It also costs less than paying TiVo plus DirecTV.

5. Beerdawg

Beerdawg New Member

Aug 6, 2006

Advertisements

Thanks