TiVo Series 2 80 Hour DVR Free After Rebate??? Not True!!!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by hsonline, Sep 16, 2007.

1. hsonline

hsonline New Member

Dec 28, 2003
    One of the Series2 40 hour TiVo's that I gave to one of my sisters crashed and so my sister decided to purchase a new 80 hour DVR from TiVo for $170, with a $170 rebate. When she got her new TiVo, she transferred her service from the old to the new, and then tried to apply for the rebate, and TiVo told her that she did not qualify for the rebate because she had an existing account! TiVo told her that she should have cancelled her original service, then established a new account. That way she could get her rebate.

What kind of crock is this? Does anyone know how she can get her rebate on her new 80 hour TiVo, or who she might contact?

I am extremely disappointed in TiVo. I am a longtime TiVo user, in fact, I've purchased 7 Series 2 TiVo's over the last couple of years and given some of them as gifts to my grown children and two sisters. I have three TiVo's in my home now, (living room, bedroom and office). I've also recommended TiVo to everyone I know, and I"m aware of several friends that have gone out and purchased a TiVo unit based on my recommendation.

And now TiVo's pulling this kind of crap! I'm not sure I'll buy another TiVo. Ever! At least not until this is resolved!!! :mad:

2. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
  3. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    The old saying "There's no free lunch." is true. Companies give rebates in order to make money. Why would a company give a 100% rebate if there weren't something to gain from it somewhere else?

4. ShYnOuTgOiNg

ShYnOuTgOiNg New Member

Jan 27, 2007
    To bad your sister wasn't in w. KY last weekend. There is a place there called "surplus city" that had about eight S2 40hr tivos. With 20% off they were $34 each.

5. DeathRider

DeathRider New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Boston Area RCN
    Yeah, but sometimes it's just to get rid of product before the end of a fiscal year/cycle, to reduce losses...guess that's still something to gain though :D

6. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    TiVo Series 2 80 Hour DVR Free After Rebate??? Not True!!!!
    Wrong, it is true. But if you don't follow the instructions, you can't get the rebate therefore there is no "after rebate"
    You can't blame Tivo for your sister's inability to read and understand the terms of the rebate.

She can cheat the system. She can simply cancel her existing subscription and return the Tivo. She can buy another tivo and start a new subscription and get the rebate. Then she can come to TCF and start a "Is this stealing?" thread.

7. samo

samo New Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Littleton,...
    I hate these "TiVo can do no wrong" replies. She had TiVo account for the unit that broke. She could cancel the old account and start a new one to get the rebate. She didn't do that figuring that it makes no difference to TiVo (and it really doesn't) and now TiVo tells her that because of technicality she is out of $170.
    Yes, one should always read the small print. Especially if you deal with companies like TiVo.

8. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Ahh, but it does make a difference...

When the OPs sister opens a new account, she'll have to start paying the monthly sub under the new pricing structure, which is probably more $ than she's paying now.

9. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    and I hate these "I was to stupid to understand what I was doing so of course I F&$%ed up and now they won't coddle my dumb butt because for some reason they think that their rules should apply to me as if I were just an ordinary person and not extra special like my mom always said I was and I refuse to ever accept responsibility for my mistakes"

Well, no that won't work. Rebates are for Tivos that have never been subscribed before. Her new Tivo is currently subscribed.

10. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Yep, you're right - it's Tivo's fault that you're unable to read and comply with a simple set of instructions. :rolleyes:

11. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Just return the unit with the 30 day window.

12. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    It does make a difference.

She could've contacted TiVo about the broken unit and had it repaired - in or out of warranty. She could've had a 3rd party repair it. Or she could've repaired it herself. Any of those would've kept the original sub going.

If the unit is is under a service commitment then it makes a different for TiVo financially. They offer discounts and rebates on units in exchange for a service commitment to make up for the SAC. If the first unit hasn't fulfilled its commitment term then it is a loss to offer a discount on the new unit under the original commitment.

And, as has been pointed out, this restriction is clearly stated in the rebate terms. This is very clearly a user error. She could transfer the service back and return the new unit if it is within 30-days. Then do it right - either repair the original unit or start a new subscription on a new unit and get the rebate.

13. Dewayne2

Dewayne2 New Member

Sep 17, 2007
    I actually found a rebate on a rebate forum.

14. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Most likely the original broken TiVo was 240 model. I would keep that and put a larger Drive in it to fix it.

15. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    If you follow any rebates terms and conditions, you get the rebate. If you do not follow them, you do not.

She should of read the terms and conditions and would of known that she would not get the rebate.

16. bubba425

bubba425 New Member

May 22, 2006
    I've got a question, if one were to buy one of these tivo's on rebate, and already has two other tivo's on a multi-box discount ($12.95 for the first box and $6.95 for the second) can a person still get the rebate by adding this third tivo at $6.95 to the multi-box discount?

17. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Yes, with a three year commitment.

18. bubba425

bubba425 New Member

May 22, 2006
    Why a three year? The rebate says a one year minimum is required. And if I already have the multi-box discount of $12.95 a year for the first one, and $6.95 for every other one after that, then shouldn't this third one only be a one year deal at $6.95 too?

19. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    You don't need the 3 year for the rebate, but you need it for the $6.95. The MSD is now $6 off what your usual monthly rate would be, making it 10.95, $8.95 or $6.95 depending on how long you sign up for.

20. bubba425

bubba425 New Member

May 22, 2006
    Ah, gotcha. But if my regular monthly rate is only $12.95 (since I was a subscriber well before they made the pricing switch) then doesn't that mean a third tivo would be $6 off my current price, so $6.95 a month for me? Or are they going to force me to change to the new pricing structure?