Tivo Series 1 to a Digital TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by aduetto, Oct 16, 2011.

1. aduetto

aduetto New Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Northern VA
    Ok, I'm way behind the times, and this has probably been answered many times.

I have DirecTV coming in to an RCA box, cabled to my Series 1 Tivo, then cabled to my 40" Mits analog tv. I have a lifetime subscription on my tivo and I've up'ed the hard drive to 80 megs.

But my 15 y/o Mits is dying!!! :eek: Analog tv's are gone and I don't know much about digital tv's. Cry, wimper, sniff! :(

If I get a digital tv, can I run the s-video and audio cables to it and get a good picture. I'm not after HDTV at this point.

Thanks,

Alex

2. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Yes, that is if you can find a TV that has s-video. You'll probably have to use the yellow rca video cable.

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Yes. Although s-video is being phased out by a lot of manufacturers (including TiVo -- no s-video on the Premiere), so you might have to settle for composite.

Probably not. I dunno, maybe the situation has improved. But when we first got a plasma in 2004, and hooked it up to a DirecTiVo, it looked awful. That's not even considering the aspect ratio problems.

4. aduetto

aduetto New Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Northern VA
    Bummer! It's painful to be on the tail end of technology.

So, s-video is gone or almost so. My tivo can also do composite, but the picture may be poor. I guess my first course of action will be to ask about that. The salesmen will love it, although they should be familiar with it. Quite a few of the sales people I've seen are almost too young to remember tube sets. :)

Thanks for the help,

Alex

5. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Or on craigslist. On craigslist they give some of them away for free, and the prices at the thrift stores are incredibly low.

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    An alternative might be a good used TV that does component video in (the red, green, blue RCA plugs deal), and a good used AV receiver that does video upconversion to component.

You might be able to grab a deal off of people "upgrading" to HDMI capable hardware.

I lucked into a Denon AVR-3805 for $65 that way. We already had a 32" JVC TV (CRT type) with a component video input that we'd never been able to use before.

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Yes, you can. I do that same thing but have a Series 2, sourced by a satellite box (connected with S-video and stereo audio), and connected to my 32" LCD TV, with S-video and stereo audio. It works rather well, but yes, is not HD.

In my fall TV shopping (for a 22" set for the porch or portable), all the ones I seen have S-video.

8. aduetto

aduetto New Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Northern VA
    I went the used route (successfully I might add) once last year to replace another tv. This time I want to replace our 40" tube with a similar or larger screen, so I'm prepared to go new. I'm not interested in HD really, just want to get something that works with my remaining working old equipment and has a sharp picture (like my 40" Mit's had). :)

Thanks for some positive news classicsat. I guess it's getting time to make a browsing trip to a big screen store.

Thanks all,

Alex

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    My supervisor couldn't even give two large screen tube sets away on Craigslist. He said our area was flooded with pages of them with some people actually asking for :eek: $200 for them. As if that will happen. But even giving them away for free no one would bite since LCD and Plasma sets are so cheap now.

10. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You'll probably have to change the aspect ratio fairly often.. At least when I watch the things I natively record on my S1 or my XS32 (hard drive/DVD recorder), I have to put the TV in 4:3 mode.

The shows on digital channels (even SD ones) are usually at the right aspect ratio (though there seems to be a lot of letterboxing-within-4:3 a lot, though that seems to be channel-by-channel.. Some are consistently 4:3 taking up the full height, some are APPROXIMATELY 16:9 but letterboxed within 4:3.. But the Tivo's and my TV's zoom modes still cut off part of the picture, so I put up with the severe letterboxing.) If I recorded only off of the HDTV channels, I probably wouldn't have the issues.

11. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    If you are a DirecTV guy and really like that service and are gonna enter modern times with a digital HDTV, you might as well just go all in and ditch the TiVo and get the DirecTV HD DVR. As much as it pains me to tell someone to dump TiVo, it's really the best option for someone who really likes, wants and/or needs DirecTV. They have improved their DVRs are great deal and these days, they are pretty good boxes. The advanced ones do some really sweet stuff in a multi room setup.

12. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    By any chance did you buy lifetime for that S1 on or before January 20, 2000?