TiVo Search/Netflix Watch Instantly Not Working

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by c293716, May 21, 2011.

1. c293716

c293716 Member

May 15, 2004
    Hello all,

The last couple of days, I have been unable to use TiVo search to successfully watch Netflix movies from either my TiVo HD or TiVo premiere.

TiVo search finds the movie fine, but as soon as it gets to the "Netflix" interface, I get the description of the movie, but the box-cover shows "Image Unavailable", then, when I click on Watch, I get "An error occurred communicating with Netflix". Clicking on the Info from the Netflix screen always shows the duration of the movie as 0 minutes as well.

I have no problems though watching movies that are already part of my queue. I've already gone through the process of de-activating and re-activating the TiVo/Netflix links to no avail.

Any ideas?

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Reboot your TiVos.

3. mriman

mriman New Member

May 15, 2010
    The same here.... for several days. Its only SOME movie titles. I can't find the pattern.

Yep I rebooted. Did not help.

I also unregistered the TiVo @ Netflix and re-activated, no help.

I may try unactivating, rebooting, re-activating.

Frustrating. This is with a Premiere.

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Be sure to call TiVo and Netflix and register complaints about any serious continuing problem you're having. They may not help you immediately but if you don't complain they aren't even aware of the problems.

5. c293716

c293716 Member

May 15, 2004
    OK, I will call them. I also rebooted the TiVo's after doing the unregistering to no avail.

6. eatmyjustice

eatmyjustice New Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Netflix stopped working for me today... I rebooted, confirmed network settings, deactivated my tivo from netflix... still not working. I just got off the phone with tivo and was told that a netflix "update" was ongoing and to try again in a few hours. Was also asked to call back in if I was still having trouble tomorrow. I asked if it was an application update but it wasn't... just some tweaking on their end to enhance streaming/buffering.... or so I was told.

I was really hoping for a new netflix app.... the tivo implementation of netflix is pretty bad compared to all the others out there.

7. Allshookup

Allshookup TiVo Newbie

Mar 19, 2010
    Fort Worth
    I have had the same problem all day 5/22/11 no Netflix :(
    I tried the reboot, then un-plug for 5 minutes then reboot still a no go. Double checked network is working and I can stream video from my iMac to the Tivo without any problems. So it has to be a Netflix issues.

8. ferror

ferror New Member

May 3, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I had this problem for most of the day today as well. It just started working again. I think the problem happens when TiVo's HME server is down. It is usually a rare occurrence, but I've seen this happening a few times just lately, so they must be having problems with the server. All of the extra screens (apps) that appear to load from outside content seem to run through that mechanism. It was originally meant to be a platform (Home Media Extensions) for building custom apps, but these days it seems to mostly be used for these apps they provide through their server. It means that TiVo has a single point of failure which can bring down TiVo Search, Netflix, Pandora, and any other similar apps at the same time. So, I doubt Netflix was ever down today, it was just TiVo's server that provides the Netflix app interface. Wish they would beef up that server a bit, add some redundancy, or come up with a way to make it more distributed.

9. chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Getting this error today while trying to use Netflix:

"An unexpected error has occurred, either the Netflix Service is inaccessible, or there was a network error. Please try Accessing Netflix again. If you are still having trouble, go to (TiVo support link) for help."

Edit: rebooted the TiVo and it worked. Stupid TiVo. I had to lose some in-progress recordings so the family could watch a Netflix movie they were waiting for.

10. chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    I notified TiVo support of the problem, and they responded with:

- Chris