Tivo SCREAM

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by dwblessed, Apr 16, 2014.

1. dwblessed

dwblessed New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    north carolina

Advertisements

My Tivo stream sounds like an airplane coming in for a landing. Has anyone else had this problem. I thought I had read that this was just something I would have to deal with but called Tivo today and was informed I could pay $79 to replace it.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    My standalone unit was pretty loud. I think it's just crammed into a tiny box with a tiny fan that has to spin really fast to keep the chip cool. I don't hear anything like that coming from my Roamio Pro.

3. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, its an unbelievably small fan that has to get up to mach 17 to move enough air to cool it. I was kinda shocked at the terrible design! A little more room and they could have put a much bigger fan in there. I wonder if it was maybe supposed to be fanless originally and they missed the thermal target

There's no fan on the Roamio's stream chip, just a heatsink that's cooled by the airflow through the whole box.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Since it does not matter when the stream is on your network, most folks tend to put these in their basement or a closet to avoid the noise.

5. Gromit

Gromit Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 1999
    Atlanta, GA

Advertisements

I've ordered a Stream but haven't received it yet. The noise concerns me but I'm hoping that expecting the worst will help.

How effective is the screaming fan? If I put it in a drawer in my entertainment console, would it run too hot?