Tivo schedule is broken after DTV changeover??

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by johnny99, Jun 12, 2009.

1. johnny99

johnny99 TivoHD

Nov 10, 2008

Advertisements

I have a TivoHD hooked up to a rooftop OTA antenna (no cable). Some of the local TV stations changed their DTV OTA frequencies this morning. I rescanned my TivoHD and can receive the new frequencies by switching channels. However, my Tivo guide schedule is "to be announced" for the new frequencies (but it does have programming for the old dead frequencies).

Is there anything I can do to move the guide schedule to the new frequencies? Or does Tivo has to fix this in their schedule downloads? I did connect to Tivo again after rescanning my TivoHD, but that did not help.

More of my local TV channels (including most of the major network channels) are changing their frequencies tonight. Are all my Tivo season passes going to be useless tomorrow?

If it matters, I live about 5 miles from the Tivo headquarters in Alviso, California.

2. solutionsetc

solutionsetc Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Most likely as SP's are channel specific. If those channels are no longer available my guess is there will be nothing to record. I know here some channels will continue to broadcast a screen with transition info for the next 30 days.

3. cowboys2002

cowboys2002 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX
    If more changes are coming "tonight", you will need to rescan again tommorrow.

You can still do manual recordings until the guide date update correct?

4. buccikong

buccikong New Member

Feb 9, 2005
    The same thing happened to me in Rochester, NY. I noticed that the two stations that switched now have different call letters. WHAM-DT and WHEC-DT both went to WHAM-HD and WHEC-HD. I'm guessing that may be why I don't have guide data. Not sure if the stations need to update their call letters or if TiVo needs to update their guide data. I ran guided setup again which didn't help.

5. johnny99

johnny99 TivoHD

Nov 10, 2008

Advertisements

The TV stations are using the same virtual DTV channel numbers, but different frequencies. Some of the old frequencies are dead (no signal), but some may be reused by different channels.

Changing all my season passes to manual recordings is no fun.

Yes, I am going to rescan again tomorrow, but I'm guessing that has no effect on the Tivo guide schedule.

My question is when is the Tivo guide going to be correct? Is there anything I can do to make that happen more quickly? Why isn't the schedule ready to go right now?

6. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    north carolina
    There are 4,000 federal employees on-call to handle your questions.

"If you have questions about the switch, call the experts at the FCC.

Call: (888) 225-5322"

7. johnny99

johnny99 TivoHD

Nov 10, 2008
    This is a Tivo problem, not a FCC problem, right?

8. solutionsetc

solutionsetc Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Actually it is a Tribune Media Services problem as they provide the guide data to TiVo. You can contact them directly but I would think you might get better results posting the guide discrepancies via the TiVo web form...

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/contactsupport/lineup_tool.html

9. kmp14

kmp14 Member

Sep 18, 2003
    I am in the Chicago area, and I know that ABC and CBS switched frequencies at Noon (cst). I am not at home, but I am sure I have this annoying problem to look forward to. Hopefully, since more is happening at Midnight, TiVo is waiting till then to get everything corrected.

But...this is not acceptable. They have known about this for a long time coming, they have known which stations were switching at Noon (cst), and to what frequencies they were switching. Come on.

10. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Because the stations in your area have a 24-hour window in which they can switch over (all at different times), and because TiVos only get updated once a day? There's not much TiVo can do about things right now - if things are still not there tomorrow evening, that's a TiVo issue.

What you can do is force a call (Messages&Settings/Settings/Phone and Network info) to get the latest schedule from TiVo. But I would doubt they'll make changes on their end before this evening - changing over the stations in the schedule before they actually switchover is a problem for folks too!

If you force a call after 1pm tomorrow afternoon, and your channels are still goofed up, then you might think of reporting things to TiVo (1pm is supposedly when TiVo normally puts up the new schedule from Tribune).

11. kmp14

kmp14 Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Doesn't matter to me where TiVo gets the data - I pay TiVo, so I blame them.

12. solutionsetc

solutionsetc Member

Apr 2, 2009
    While I agree that inaccurate guide data is an inconvenience, I have seen many complaints as well about channel lineups changing prior to the channels actually going live.

But expecting guide data to immediately track any and all changes occurring when each individual broadcaster throws the switch at the time they choose to do so is unrealistic at best.

13. solutionsetc

solutionsetc Member

Apr 2, 2009
    So click the link and report the issue.

14. Roderigo

Roderigo New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Brookdale, CA
    As you noticed, scanning will find the relocated stations, but only tivo can update the guide data with the new frequencies. I just made a service connection and got updated frequencies, so it looks like the new data is now available!

I also double checked all the digital channels in the bay area, and it looks like they're all updated appropriately. Now, of course, the problem is I have updated frequencies for stations that are changing later today. So, if your favorite channel hasn't moved yet, you may want to hold off on forcing a connection.

Once the box gets the updated frequencies, you'll still have a channel with the "old" frequency in your channel list, but your season passes will happen on the channel with the new frequency and guide data. After everything's settled down, you can go and delete the "old" scanned channels.

If things don't get fixed with today's connection, then I'd start calling tivo.

To be paranoid, I'd keep an eye on things over the next few days. But at least in the bay area, looks like Tribune/TiVo did the right thing. Of course, if a stations does something unexpected like not moving frequencies today, there are going to be problems.

15. Roderigo

Roderigo New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Brookdale, CA
    The scan will allow you to watch the channel/schedule manual recording. But, scheduled recordings will "just work" once your tivo gets the updated frequency.

16. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Does blaming them make you feel better? :confused: Probably not, but understanding the whole system might help you feel better about it, and it might actually help you see ways to make things better for yourself.

17. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    TiVo has now updated their guide information with the correct frequency assignments for most (all?) markets.

If you have recordings scheduled on the off-air networks tonight, you should force a connection under Settings -> Phone & Network. Some 15-45 minutes after that connection completes, your guide should have the correct frequency assignments for the new channels.

18. cjw2001

cjw2001 Member

Feb 10, 2003
    I had one channel (WTHR NBC Indianapolis) that changed frequencies and went unwatchable as scheduled by the local station at 1 pm this afternoon -- by 6:30 pm the TiVo guide data was updated and the channel was watchable again.

I'm not going to complain about a 5 1/2 hour outage on a single channel -- I was expecting the outage to be much longer given the nature of today's changes. I was prepared to do manual recordings for a day or so while waiting for the update but won't have to since the guide data has already updated.

Those that are having issues should force a daily call and see if the problem goes away once the TiVo digests the new data download.

19. ccrider2

ccrider2 Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Not yet, for the Indy DMA. Channel 13-1 (NBC) changed from RF46 to RF13, but I get no guide data yet for the new assignment, but I do under the old RF Channel listing. Same thing happened back in February.

Chris

20. cjw2001

cjw2001 Member

Feb 10, 2003
    My 13.1 has had guide data since 6:30 pm (see my post above). The 6 pm local newscast failed to record but the 6:30 pm NBC news recorded as scheduled.