TiVo salespeople LIE

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by misterclick, Jul 19, 2020.

1. misterclick

misterclick New Member

Oct 24, 2012

Advertisements

I had a premiere with a mini. The Premiere lost the HDMI and I could only connect it to the video out. I could also watch through the Mini. Also while at the Mini I could see what the other 3 tuners were playing and I could go back and forth between them. I lost my job and I could no longer pay either the TiVo subscription nor the cable. After about a year, I got another job and was able once again to afford both. The first thing I noticed, was that the Mini would no longer show the 3 tuners, it would only show what it was playing and that's it. I thought it was strange, but I thought maybe there had been a software upgrade and that ability had been lost. After awhile I got tired of the Premiere only been able to see a degraded screen and not HDMI. I called TiVo, and they presented me with a ROAMIO option. The sales guy was so nice and helpful, and answered all my questions, but little did I know that he was just trying to make a sale.
    My first question was would the Roamio show the 3 other tuners trough the Mini? YES he said... LIE! it did not!
    Second question would ALL my shows in the Premiere transfer to the New Roamio? YES he said... LIE! they did not. Although I had lots and lots of programs and movies, the transfer took a long time, but it did NOT transfer everything! It transferred only some TV shows(series) for example, but not all of them in the group. It transferred about 9 or 10% of the movies.
    Third question would the capacity of the Roamio be enough for my recording needs? he said YES. He could have SOLD me a bigger Roamio, but he didn't, instead he told me I could expand the Roamio with an external HARD drive. I said Oh.. ANY HARD DRIVE, YES he said ANY hard drive. I insisted. It does NOT have to be a special one? NO he said you can expand it with ANY hard drive(external)! LIE!! you can't.
    Anyway I made my purchase and when I received the unit I had to go to the Comcast place and get the card, installed it, got everything ready, and since the premier was in the VIDEO input, I was able to connect them both to the TV. The first thing I did was to connect my external 1TB hard drive, and it would NOT recognize it. I found out the hard way the hard drive had to be a TiVo purchased one. I then started transferring the recordings, and they were taking a long long time. but I noticed the transfer list was always erratic, and it was transferring only some stuff.
    Well, I guess I got used to it, and I left it as it was. And then came November 1, 2019. The Roamio took an update, I think that's when the TiVo+ was introduced. well, after the update, the HDMI looked like CRAP! all the colors were shifting, the quality was terrible! so I connected another HDMI cable, and it did not make any difference. so I connected the HDMI to another HDMI input, and no, no difference. I connected it to another TV, and still the same. I called TiVo, and they "tortured" me by doing all the steps I have just mentioned, again, I kept telling the guy I have already done that, but well, they have to go through their steps I guess. He said I had to ship it back and get another one. I said what about all the shows? he said they will be lost!!! I really did NOT want to go to the trouble of transferring the shows again(Premiere was still active) and I had some shows already in the Roamio. so I said just forget it. SO I'm using a Roamio that has bad HDMI.
    Sorry to rant so much, but I'm so Frustrated!!!

2. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    I do not think he was telling ties, just misinformed.

dianebrat likes this.
  3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Agreed
    and current Tivo customer reps have repeatedly proved their incompetence.

4. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    A 30 second google search would have told you that transfers can be problematic and external HDs are not supported.

I also don’t think he was lying about the tuners. He probably didn’t understand your question. Can the mini access all the tuners and play shows recorded from each tuner? Yes.

Does the mini show you what’s recording on each tuner? Yes, from My Shows.

Does the mini show you what channel each tuner is currently tuned to so you can toggle between them and watch 4+ shows at once while you’re not recording? No. That’s probably a question not many are concerned about.

Seems coincidental that two separate units have had bad HDMI’s. Are you sure there’s no way something outside of the TiVo could have caused the issue with one or both units?

mrsean likes this.
  5. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish

Advertisements

Paragraphs are your friend, that wall of text was very hard to parse.
    i don't ever recall the mini info button showing you all the tuners in the way that a full Tivo does, so you may have been chasing a snipe on that one.

bam1220, CopRock, misterclick and 4 others like this.
  6. vaquero

vaquero Active Member

Jan 14, 2020
    A lot of people don't understand this.

I'm a reasonably intelligent person and fairly articulate. I have a couple of degrees from an accredited university. I've read thousands of books and have done some technical writing. However, I am unable to properly read and comprehend a post like the OP.

It's a failing on my part, I understand that. I suppose my brain can only accept data in small packets. Anyway, thanks for recognizing and mentioning that.

bam1220 and ej42137 like this.
  7. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    FWIW, my wife was a technical writer and long paragraphs were and remain her principal bête noire.

8. rpiotro

rpiotro Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Greenfield, WI
    You are hardly alone. A lot of people have a hard time digesting a word salad like that. Myself included.

9. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    It looks like there are paragraphs, but no spacing between them.

misterclick and dianebrat like this.
  10. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    This is correct.

11. jonw747

jonw747 Active Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Moral of the story ... don't ask questions of salesmen you don't already know the answer to.

Then you can filter out the garbage and perhaps learn something new (but verify).

misterclick likes this.
  12. steelersruleman

steelersruleman Member

Aug 29, 2014
    NW Pennsylvania
    I cannot add anything that anyone above has posted. Especially about the proper writing/grammar skills.

Anyway, I noticed the OP joined TIVO Forums in 2012. For anyone reading this thread, a little bit of advice:

Come here first. Not saying the people here will always give you the correct answers, but more than likely they will.

I do it whenever I have a question about TIVO. And most people here are very helpful. So if you come to these forums first, you will have much better information/understanding than you will ever get from most, not all of course, service representatives with TIVO, and, sadly, most other electronic gizmo's

Apple IMHO is probably the best at this. But they are by no means great/spectacular since they are being compared to most companies that absolutely, positively S*CK at it...

13. misterclick

misterclick New Member

Oct 24, 2012
    I am sorry for the very long post, I did not intend it to be so long.

14. misterclick

misterclick New Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Sorry.

15. misterclick

misterclick New Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Yes, I swear, I thought it was so neat that I could see the other tuners, you know when I pressed "info" and then scrolled down and chose the other tuner.

I went through a couple of TVs, so the HDMI problem was not on the same TV.

16. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'll lay good money down that you're mis-remembering this, the Tivo itself has always shown you the other tuners, the mini's do not, they'll show you recordings in the guide, but not tuners on other channels via info.

cwoody222 and misterclick like this.
  17. vaquero

vaquero Active Member

Jan 14, 2020
    No need to be. Like I said, it's a failing on my part. All's good.