TiVo said known issue with "clear and delete" bricking

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by matthewvb, Mar 4, 2020.

1. matthewvb

matthewvb New Member

Mar 4, 2020
    I tried to clear and delete everything last night on my premiere and after 15+ hours if it sitting on that screen, I finally rebooted it. Ended up booting back to clear and delete state. Tried the various KS codes but couldn't work the magic to get it to flip over and activate KS mode.

Finally I called TiVo and the tech said - the bricking is a known issue that was reported as early as February 2020. He said they're working on it and they don't have a resolution on it right now.

His instructions to me were to do a cold boot (unhook everything for 24 hours then call back) and we'll go from there.

Sharing what I've heard. Not sure how widespread the issue is.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    A cold boot is actually just pulling the power and reconnecting. It can just be a minute and not really need to be 24 hrs.
    A warm boot is just restarting from the menu. (no power is removed hence the warm term as everything is still warm)

3. matthewvb

matthewvb New Member

Mar 4, 2020
    Thanks. I thought 24 hours was a bit extreme. I'm new to all the lingo so I went with it.

I'll keep y'all posted with what support says. Until then - it's a brick.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  5. RegGuheert

RegGuheert Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Thanks for sharing. I did this about a week ago and thanks to member ggieseke providing an image I am back up and running. Actually, I imaged FOUR disks so that I'm ready for "next time" whatever may be the cause of that.

To be quite frank, little good it does us for TiVo to admit to the problem when TiVo's online advice about how to transfer a unit to a new owner says this:
    The bottom line is that TiVO won't take responsibility for our bricked Premieres even though the fault lies squarely with them. IMO, it is just a way for them to generate more sales. (Think how many people this affects who simply purchase a new TiVo as a result.)

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    TiVo's top 5 problems:
    Tivo Customer Support Community

Notice that this is a TE3 issue. I can verify it doesn't kill the box with TE4.

There's the same problem on a Roamio, but it's easier to fix.

RegGuheert and keithg1964 like this.
  7. RegGuheert

RegGuheert Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Cool link. Thanks!

Interesting that it affects anything running TE3.

JoeKustra likes this.
  8. RegGuheert

RegGuheert Member

Mar 16, 2019
    What's telling here is that:

1) TiVo knows that executing this command bricks every TE3 unit in the field and on the Premieres, at least, is unrecoverable without Herculean efforts.
    2) TiVo refuses to replace the units which are literally destroyed by this problem.
    3) Yet, TiVo does not remove from their website the recommendation to run the offending command.

Rey, ClayKY and kpeters59 like this.
  9. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    I agree. If Tivo is telling you to mbrick your Premiere before selling it you either: sell a defective unit to someone with all the fun that entails or: dont sell it and now you own a bricked unit. Both results are not good.