TIVO S3 using Cable Card? How about Satellite customer?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Pekkle, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Pekkle

Pekkle New Member

Feb 9, 2004

Advertisements

Will S3 support Satellite customers like Dishnetwork? How do they support those devices? I guess we will still need the satellite set top box for S3 to work right?

2. cotton168

cotton168 Member

Aug 8, 2006
    Monterey...
    No it will not. Not sure about who will support but I believe DirectTV has one.

3. albrandwood

albrandwood Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Nope .... S3 is Cable only.
    They don't and they won't
    The S3 is incapable of controlling a STB ... it is aimed purely at the Cable DVR market (albeit as a high ticket, supposedly no compromise, one)

@

4. Pekkle

Pekkle New Member

Feb 9, 2004
    Woow.. Thanks for the quick response guys, Hmm.. Now I am not sure if I should buy one and transfer my lifetime membership, as I was thinking of adding a dishnetwork to the family of entertainment.

Also Sony has a 500gb HD DVR for $1000 with TV Guide, I wonder if that is going to hurt the sales of TIVO S3?

5. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area

Advertisements

Not likely...the Sony was discontinued. The Sony is also single tuner and has limited or no program information available in many markets.

6. Pekkle

Pekkle New Member

Feb 9, 2004
    bkdtv, thanks for the reply. I didn't know it was discontinued because I only saw them in the store with TIVO S3, so I didn't know they were discontinued.. I like the S3, but the reality is I don't know how much I can really save compared to the cable's DVR, as each cable box they charge here is $4.99 so two would run me about $10 bucks while the HD DVR from cable company only goes for $7.99 + $12.99 per month so about $21 dollars. so I save about 11 dollars per month if I use the $199 to transfer my lifetime + $799 for the unit. what do you guys think I should do?