TiVo S2

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by simonkodousek, Jul 31, 2007.

1. simonkodousek

simonkodousek New Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Nashotah, WI

Advertisements

At my local Best Buy they are offering TiVo S2's (single tuner) with a mail in rebate for free. Should I take this offer and put a TiVo in the bedroom?

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    My opinion will depends on what the TV is and what your video source is.

Good Luck,

3. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    If you want a Secondary Tivo unit (for the bedroom) compared with the lounge etc, then theres nothing wrong with a Free unit after rebate.

Also, you would get the MSD Discount, so that saves an extra $6.00 a Month off the Tivo Fees.

And, it is also Networkable, so why not go for it?

4. simonkodousek

simonkodousek New Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Nashotah, WI
    The TV is a 20" Sanyo, but I frequently watch TV in there and would like the ability to record things. My video source is standard cable in that room.

The bedroom does not get a wired or wireless network connection, so I am afraid the only way I will be able to connect is via phone line.

5. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006

Advertisements

Assuming an extra $6 something us not a big deal...
    Unless you live in a faraday cage, I'd be tempted to get a cheap router and wireless adapter just so you could transfer previously recorded shows from the main set to the bedroom set.

Did you mean you currently don't have wireless or it is impossible?

6. simonkodousek

simonkodousek New Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Nashotah, WI
    Yes, I do have wireless but the signal won't reach to this bedroom which is on the other side of the house and up a level.

7. Aug 1, 2007 #7 of 12
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    A single tuner Series 2 would work fine for this application. The Series 2 DT would be more flexibility with the 2 tuners for not much more money so I would recommend considering it also.

Good Luck,

8. Aug 1, 2007 #8 of 12
    aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    My local best buy has 15 single tuners... its very apparent that they're trying to get rid of them, but nobody is buying them. I would stick to the DT if I were you.

9. Aug 1, 2007 #9 of 12
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    The single tuner Series 2 will work fine in such a case. Be aware you will need to sign up for a 1,2 or 3 year agreement. at 1 year you pay 10.95 a month MSD rate at 3 years you pay 6.95 a year rate.

the phone line will work fine for getting updates and guide data but remote scheduling is very slow over a phone line taking a day to do. Also be sure you have a local phone number.

Since you have a single tuner then MRV to get shows from the other Tivo will be very handy to have. Wireless router signals do not travel up very well. What I did was get a cheap cable modem/router and place that where my internet cable enters and then put my wireless router upstairs for better coverage. I used some extenders to pull the network through my home wiring circuit.
    Panasonic BL-PA100KTA. It is rated at 190Mbps so MRV is not slowed down by it.

10. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    How hard would it be to run a Ethernet cable to the room? They are cheap.

Depending on how your Network is set up at Home, you may already have a Router etc. So you may already have the equipment needed.

As you said you wish to transfer shows to the Second Tivo, then you really should look at the options.

11. simonkodousek

simonkodousek New Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Nashotah, WI
    It would be very difficult to run an ethernet cable to this room. No, I do not want to transfer shows.

12. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Well then...if you don't mind paying a little more to TiVo each month...get the freebie S2 and record all of those shows you've been missingÂ…but be prepared to get less sleep (depending on what you record of course)!

Besides, you can always use it for parts one day! :D