Tivo S2, replaced fan, now it doesn't power up all the way...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by DUSlider, Jun 5, 2008.

1. DUSlider

DUSlider Active Member

Apr 28, 2005
    PA
    So the fan on my S2 was making a lot of noise and finally died (Noticed that it wasn't working when I went to shut things down and the Tivo itself felt warm on top). Got a replacement from weaknees.

When I went to put the Tivo in standby it didn't respond to the remote. It was showing live tv, then I got a message that it had detected my wireless adapter, which, had been plugged in at the time, I didn't touch it, so not sure why it gave me that message.

So, I just yanked the power cord and replaced the fan. Now when I plug the Tivo in I get no video or audio. The hard drive and fan spins up and I get no lights on the front either.

Could the high temps have damaged something? It didn't seem that hot. Is there something that prevents bootup when high temps are detected?

Any ideas?

EDIT: Also noticed that there seems to be some type of video output, though it is all black, there seems to be some flickering white lines, alternating between the top/bottom thirds of the screen...

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    What model S2? This can be a sign of power-supply failure in the older models:

http://www.weaknees.com/tcd140060-repair.php

If it's not that, did you possibly bump the white ribbon cable connecting the motherboard to the front panel?

3. DUSlider

DUSlider Active Member

Apr 28, 2005
    PA
    Model: TCD24008A

Closest I came to the white cable was when plugging in the fan to the board, so no, not even close. It is just really odd that the power supply would just go out like that (If that is what it is). Makes me wish that Tivo put some type of power switch on their units. I'd say that is the only design flaw...