Tivo Romaio OTA

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by imacericg, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Aug 25, 2014 #1 of 115
    imacericg

imacericg New Member

Mar 15, 2008
  2. Aug 25, 2014 #2 of 115
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I find it very interesting that TiVo even developed this box, but with no lifetime service I would have a very hard time recommending it.

You can buy the TiVo Basic with lifetime service for $700 and the cost will be offset in 36 months and the device will still have significant resale value and more flexibility if you change your mind in the future. But I can see people with a short view finding the $50 initial purchase price appealing.

I still think the OTA community is going to be a very hard place for TiVo to make a profit - but if they are going to try, they will need a pricing strategy that seems like a bargain compared to a full TiVo.

Maybe...

TiVo Basic: $200 / Service $15 / Lifetime $500
    TiVo OTA: $150 / Service $12 / Lifetime $400

3. Aug 25, 2014 #3 of 115
    trip1eX

trip1eX Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2005
    The fee kills it.

I can see paying $15/mo for a year or two to cover costs of and make a profit on the hardware, but after that the fee should drop down to $5 or so to cover updates and Tivo tax.

4. Aug 25, 2014 #4 of 115
    kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    Eligible for a multi DVR discount? There should be a monthly fee discount anyway, since the OTA data required is a lot less than required for cable. If they allowed lifetime, and dropped the monthly fee to $8 a month and $6 if there are other Tivos on the account, this would be a much better deal. This is really only for the cord cutter that needs a DVR with a cheap buy in price, and/or wants a simple, all in one device.

5. Aug 25, 2014 #5 of 115
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I'm pretty sure the marketing team researched it enough to know that most OTA users in the market for a DVR would not pay that much upfront. It makes sense for them to leave out the lifetime option as that would encourage more high-end OTA users to go for the Roamio basic. They basically just created a lower-end basic targeted directly to OTA users who weren't strongly in the market for a DVR. Otherwise they would of already bought the Roamio Basic.

6. Aug 25, 2014 #6 of 115
    sixseven

sixseven New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    The pricing for this goes against the idea of cord cutting. I might pay as much as $300 for this, but I do not want any monthly recurring fees.

I switched to WMC from my old Series 3 (w/ lifetime) years ago. WMC is a bit of a headache, but it's manageable, and the wife is relatively happy. Recently I got an Xbox One, and I've been thinking of switching back to my Series 3 because it integrates with the XB1 better than WMC. Unfortunately, my Series 3 is dead due to the capacitor plague. I'm looking into getting it repaired, but then I saw this announcement.

TiVo, I am sure your Roamio OTA DVR is HANDS DOWN the best OTA DVR on the market. But, I will NEVER pay $180 a year to use it. Know your market. Cord cutters want better value.

7. Aug 25, 2014 #7 of 115
    series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    So far every comment in this thread agrees with what I was saying in the other thread. I still think this product is salvageable if they just offer lifetime. Even full price lifetime ($500 for new subscribers, $400 for existing ones) if the hardware is included in the price.

8. Aug 25, 2014 #8 of 115
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Cord cutters had no problem paying for Aereo monthly. For people that want to pay more upfront, there is already an option (the Roamio Basic). I don't see how it is hard to understand that the Roamio OTA is not for everyone. Btw, being a cord cutter does not mean you won't pay for something monthly.

9. Aug 25, 2014 #9 of 115
    mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    For the Roamio OTA to be competitive, I think it needs to be a better Roku imitator than it is now, and it needs include some basic internet functionality. Give people a reason to buy a wireless keyboard. Give people a reason to not use a Chromecast.

The TV landscape now is incredibly frustrating. Switching from DVR content to Netflix to Amazon Streaming via Chromecast to using a laptop or tablet for browsing or app locked content and then back again is a ****ty experience.

10. Aug 25, 2014 #10 of 115
    series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    No, but it means you have a lower budget for monthly fees than paying for cable and you'll only subscribe to something if the value/cost proposition makes sense. In this case it doesn't.

11. Aug 25, 2014 #11 of 115
    sixseven

sixseven New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    I'm not having any difficulty understanding the Roamio OTA, but I appreciate your concern.

It turns out not that many cord cutters used Aereo:

http://recode.net/2014/07/21/heres-how-many-subscribers-aereo-had-last-year/

For what it is, the Roamio OTA is overpriced. Period. TiVo absolutely provides the best experience and recording reliability, and they deserve to charge a premium for that. But this priced too high. It will fail as a product. $300 all in, and it will sell like gangbusters. (and make profit for TiVo, too)

12. Aug 25, 2014 #12 of 115
    rgr

rgr Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I'd probably get this if there were lifetime available. As it stands, the extra ~$120 for the Roamio Basic is almost worth the option to buy lifetime. Almost, but not quite. I've broken out my old series 3 with lifetime and use it for OTA exclusively. Only has 2 tuners, but it works.

If I could get the Roamio OTA for $300-$350 with lifetime, I'd do it just for the extra tuners.

13. Aug 25, 2014 #13 of 115
    spaldingclan

spaldingclan Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Janko Roettgers of GigaOm confirmed with his contact at Tivo that there's NO LIFETIME offered.

14. Aug 25, 2014 #14 of 115
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It is overpriced for you. The market for the Roamio OTA is certainly not the average TCF user. TiVo has never and probably never will price themselves at the bottom of any market.

15. Aug 25, 2014 #15 of 115
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Are you sure? I know plenty of people who "cut the cord" who are now paying about the same as what they paid for cable. That is the market this is going after.

16. Aug 25, 2014 #16 of 115
    sixseven

sixseven New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Maybe I'm reading too far in to your responses, but I don't like your tone. You have been condescending to me twice so far.

Here's a little background on me... Back in the day, I upgraded my Series 2 to the Series 3 when it was first released. If memory serves me correctly, I paid somewhere in the range of $700 or $800 for the Series 3 + lifetime. Cost is not an issue to me. Cost relative to value here is the issue with this Roamio OTA.

Not sure why you're such a TiVo apologist. I'm a big fan of Tivo. This product will fail because of the way it's priced. Let me show you:

The bottom of the market is arguably the $37 Mediasonic HomeWorx HW-150PVR. It provides basic DVR functionality, as well as playing various file formats. (mp4, mkv, etc) Out of 669 reviews on Amazon, it has a rating of 3.7 stars. Not bad for little $37 device. This is what cord cutters are buying.

The closest competitor to the Roamio OTA is (IMO) the Channel Master DVR+, which can be yours for a single, ONE TIME payment of $250. Cord cutters are also buying this. This is a new product, and while the experience is rougher that Tivo, Channel Master seems to be actively updating and improving the software.

You mentioned Aereo earlier. Check out this article from the consumerist.com. (great website, BTW)

http://consumerist.com/2014/05/31/you-can-make-your-own-aereo-at-home-but-is-it-worth-it/

Notice there are three off-the-shelf solutions that are recommended, and the Tivo is not one of them. Tivo is the OG cord cutter solution, but it has been forgotten. Because Tivo has priced itself out of the larger potential market.

17. Aug 25, 2014 #17 of 115
    takeagabu

takeagabu New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I think Lifetime is going to be offered. If you go to tivo's OTA page and click on the link that says "plus monthly service," it says that all Roamios can get lifetime subs except with certain promotional offers. The way it's worded doesn't seem to me like an entirely new box would be a promotional offer. Not to mention the fact that they are mentioning lifetime service in a popup from the OTA's page.

http://www.tivo.com/discover/antenna

18. Aug 25, 2014 #18 of 115
    HeatherA

HeatherA Old AVS Forum Member

Jan 9, 2002
    I would buy this in a heartbeat if lifetime was offered and I could be out the door at $450

19. Aug 25, 2014 #19 of 115
    wmolesworth

wmolesworth New Member

Aug 25, 2014
    If I put a Tivo with an over the air antenna SOMEWHERE in my network, can I watch OTA programming on ALL of my Tivos? I have a Roamio Pro and 3 Minis....

20. Aug 25, 2014 #20 of 115
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    You can do that now by buying the existing basic Roamio with a coupon code off of an ebay seller.