Tivo Rollout

Discussion in 'HD Comcast TiVo DVR (Archive)' started by rtoub, May 17, 2009.

1. rtoub

rtoub New Member

May 17, 2009

Advertisements

There has been no news about Tivo in any new areas that I have heard of for a long time. Is comcast continuing this or is it a dead product.

I am looking at the Tivo unit with cablecard option but really I just want the Tivo software on my current unit. But after waiting for 2 years it still is not available in Oregon as far as I know.

2. No Nickname

No Nickname New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    I was walking past the Arlington, VA Comcast office and a guy was loading his van with tons of digital boxes from Comcast that were "going back to the manufacturer." I guess they were returned/old boxes.

I said "Oh, I thought they might be new TiVo/Comcast boxes that you were going to deliver" and he said "That's coming next week."

I went inside to ask the front desk person and they said they had not heard of that. Went back outside and told the tech guy and he said "Oh, they wouldn't know, but I do. It's coming next week."

Anyone heard any news of more rollouts?

3. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    They're talking about Chicago but it sounds like Comcast is also thinking about some interesting expansions to their TiVo offerings.
    http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=106292&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1292964&highlight=

4. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Unless something has changed recently, Comcast in N. VA uses Cisco (Scientific Atlanta) equipment. The TiVo software is currently available only on the Motorola platform.

5. FrederickWebPro

FrederickWebPro FrederickWebPro

Jun 14, 2009
    Frederick,...

Advertisements

I joined here to learn about what Tivo really is (preferring to lurk at a user group rather than listen to a sales pitch)

So tivo is how cable companies actually do the DVR thing?

I'm in Frederick, just north of Arlington... does Maryland comcast user tivo as well?

6. deandashl

deandashl New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Oh boy. Fred gotta lot to read.

I wouldn't know where to begin.

TiVo is NOT how cable does DVR's.
    TiVo is a noun, not a verb.

TiVo IS a DVR. Cable HAS it's own DVR's, but you can buy a TiVo as a superior alternative at a lower price.

TiVo also offers it's User Interface or UI on SOME Comcast DVR's as a UI upgrade, this is largely still experimental and only in a few cities.

I actually recommend reading DVR reviews on CNET, both TiVo and satellite DVR's as a learning tool. TiVo website is great. And bkdtv has great info on TiVo's over at AVSForums under "official AVS TiVo HD topic" thread, first post. You can also find the links under any bkdtv post in this forum the AVS site.

7. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    I wouldn't say lower price the cable dvr is rented and the tivo is bought from tivo or a store. service fees also factor into pricing.

8. SeanTivo

SeanTivo New Member

Sep 13, 2006