Tivo Roamio - video playback fails

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by csell, Feb 4, 2020.

1. csell

csell Member

Apr 16, 2007
    Hello all,

Anyone have any similar issue or might know what is happening and any possible fixes (or is the Tivo dying?)

Every few days, the playback of video (live, preview window, records shows, or an apps such a Youtube) fails. The video freezes with horizontal lines. You can still hear the video playing. Also, the menus work perfectly fine. I can navigate through all of the UI and no problems. Its just when I try and play a recorded video, watch live TV, watch the Preview Window, or watch a Youtube video that this occurs...

The only way to fix it is to do a reboot. After that, its fine (until it happens again). Also of note - any shows that were recording during this 'failed video' period recorded perfectly. I was able to play them back without issue.

Any ideas what's happening? One side note - my kids play a LOT of youtube video. I haven't been able to detect the exact moment that the failure occurs but it might be possible that it happens during youtube. I know youtube has caused problems in the past.... One other thing - during the "failed playing" time, I'm able to watch videos off of it through my Mini. That works fines.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. wizbang_fl

wizbang_fl Smile and Wave Boys, Smile and Wave

Jan 2, 2012
    Fort...
    Yes, I have run into this as well. It seems like it happened when Tivo+ was implemented. I just got another update which inserts an advert in front of a recorded video playback.

3. omarfdez

omarfdez New Member

Apr 18, 2017
    I have a TiVo Roamio OTA (non-VOX) with three mini-TiVo's all connected to the router via CAT-6 ethernet cable. I have the same problem. The main unit takes over 20-30 seconds to start playback a previously recorded program. Many times it just hangs and says to try later. This started happening after the last software update when TiVo introduced Tivo+.

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Call or Chat with TiVo and have them disable the Pre-Roll Ads.

-KP

Mikeguy likes this.
  5. omarfdez

omarfdez New Member

Apr 18, 2017
    I have talked to TiVo Support in regards to this and one failing Mini-TiVo's they are replacing for a "discounted" price. It has been already two weeks and I have not received it. It seems that COVID-19 has limited their support. Also tried them on Chat without luck.

I have had TiVo DVRs since they came out in early 2000's. First with cable then switched to OTA after Comcast has become unafordable to me. TiVo has had their share of software issues but managed to resolve them in the past. It seems to me they launched the VOX and the Tivo+ software updates without much testing, therefore all these issues... Hope they are reading these posts and taking action!