Tivo Roamio stuttering

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by demt1992, Oct 25, 2019.

1. demt1992

demt1992 New Member

Sep 22, 2018

Advertisements

Tivo Roamio stuttering on playback. We record the The Voice on OTA antenna but it also stutters when watching reruns of Cheers on Hulu. Help.
    Let me correct my issue. When we are watching programs on Hulu , it is the Hulu app on Tivo Roamio so I believe it is Tivo. Anybody have any idea?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  2. Old Dad83

Old Dad83 New Member

Oct 24, 2019
    I have the same problem on channel 46 CBS. Did you ever get an answer ? I do not see where anyone replied ?

3. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    I have seen stuttering on cable recording of CW shows this season. My problem is with the transmission not the TiVo machine.

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    The stuttering on OTA and Hulu ought to be totally unrelated.

If they're not, then the TiVo is defective.

-KP

5. Slumpert

Slumpert Member

Oct 18, 2019

Advertisements

When one of our cinema projectors is starting to stutter the root cause almost always a fully fragmented hard drive or a failing hard drive.

While you might assume Hulu has nothing to do with the hard drive, it’s certainly possible that’s how TiVo buffers playback.

6. Sywlgee

Sywlgee New Member

May 8, 2017
    What do you exactly mean by stuutering? I might have the same issue. Help!

7. arewhy

arewhy Member

Dec 29, 2015
    San Diego
    I have the same issue with my Roamio Pro. I believe that it is a Dolby Digital handshake issue. The way I address it is by going to Audio settings and switch it to PCM. I wait a couple of seconds and then switch the setting back to Dolby. So far that has always worked for me!

8. demt1992

demt1992 New Member

Sep 22, 2018
    I'll try to explain. While the actors are speaking little bits of the dialogue are missed, like maybe a word or a syllable.

9. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    No Video Pixelation?

I was guessing, based on the limited information provided, that you were having Antenna issues and, of course, Hulu SUCKS on TiVo...

-KP

10. demt1992

demt1992 New Member

Sep 22, 2018
    No pixelation. Have had Tivo Roamio approx. 1 1/2 years. Been recording that show on Hulu app on Tivo. Never any issues.

11. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    OK...how is the audio routed to the speakers?

HDMI? Digital Optical? Straight to the TV or through a receiver?

-KP

12. demt1992

demt1992 New Member

Sep 22, 2018
    Through a receiver but I want to not use the receiver just the tv. Last night we turned off the receiver abd just went through the tv and didn't seem to have the problem. Our receiver is old as well, probably 15+ years.

13. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    That's only a partial answer...

Are you using an Optical or Coax Digital connection, or HDMI?

If it's 15 years old, I doubt it has HDMI, so probably a Toslink connection.

That's easy to cause dropouts with that type connection.

Also, Hulu doesn't "record" on the TiVo. Just 'watched'.

-KP

14. demt1992

demt1992 New Member

Sep 22, 2018
    Wow! You're awesome. It's HDMI from Tivo to tv. Now that you mention it, it is Toslink from the receiver to Tivo. I get your point about the "watched" only. The Voice is recorded from NBC, obviously we watch reruns of Cheers or Frasier on Hulu through the receiver for fuller sound. We watched part the Voice last night just though the tv audio wothout a problem. What are thoughts.
    I watched old American Idol shows from much earlier this year and used the receiver for audio today without a problem. Thank you very much kpeters59.

kpeters59 likes this.
  15. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Just buy a modern receiver and route the HDMI through it and then on to the TV.

Many new receivers have a pass-through feature so when they're off they pass either the 'last' source selected or the source you choose to pass through to the TV so the Receiver is not required..

-KP