Tivo Roamio - recorded shows lagging after new skip mode feature?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jpiszcz84, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Mar 3, 2016 #1 of 11
    jpiszcz84

jpiszcz84 New Member

Mar 3, 2016

Advertisements

Hi,

I use a Tivo Roamio and it has been 100% flawless over the past ~1 year or so. They recently introduced the new skip mode which is fantastic! However, I have seen a side-effect? When watching a recorded show, on occasion the entire show will freeze up and pause for 3-4 seconds, then it will continue.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Thanks,

Justin.

2. Mar 3, 2016 #2 of 11
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    No, haven't had that problem.

3. Mar 3, 2016 #3 of 11
    jpiszcz84

jpiszcz84 New Member

Mar 3, 2016
  4. Mar 4, 2016 #4 of 11
    Geezer38

Geezer38 New Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Virginia
    I'm a new TIVO Roamio user since Xmas. Loved it for the first two months and then recently started having recorded shows freezing for several seconds and a more annoying problem with channel changes taking 10-15 seconds of black screen before showing the new channel. Tried changing video format and also restarting. I also notice that the skip feature to jump thru the commercials often hangs up for several seconds.

Any suggestions???

5. Mar 4, 2016 #5 of 11
    jpiszcz84

jpiszcz84 New Member

Mar 3, 2016

Advertisements

>> 10-15 seconds of black screen before showing the new channel
    I am also seeing this issue as well.

6. Mar 4, 2016 #6 of 11
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Perhaps some specifics can help the trouble be found. Model of TiVo, cable company or OTA, Guide selection or channel up/down, etc. and things I can't think of.

Whenever I get strange behavior, like having my 1P entries reordered, I use the help, restart, Clear Program Information and To Do List. This takes about an hour on a basic Roamio, but nothing is lost.

7. Mar 5, 2016 #7 of 11
    chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    No problem for me. Bought my Roamio a few months after launch.

8. Mar 5, 2016 #8 of 11
    Geezer38

Geezer38 New Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Virginia
    I did the help, restart first and the channel change delay improved significantly. Is the help, restart different from a simple power off, power on restart? I have not done the clear program info yet and may not need to.

Too soon to tell if the freezing problems have gone away.

I have a Roamio TCD846500 with a comcast cable card.

I feel like a jerk if help, restart was all i needed to do, but how is that different from unplugging, counting to 30, and plugging back in which i did do?

Thanks for the help.

9. Mar 5, 2016 #9 of 11
    Geezer38

Geezer38 New Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Virginia
    I did the help, restart first and the channel change delay improved significantly. Is the help, restart different from a simple power off, power on restart? I have not done the clear program info yet and may not need to.

Too soon to tell if the freezing problems have gone away.

I have a Roamio TCD846500 with a comcast cable card.

I feel like a jerk if help, restart was all i needed to do, but how is that different from unplugging, counting to 30, and plugging back in which i did do?

Thanks for the help.

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If you are going to do a power cycle, I suggest you place the TiVo into Standby mode. That stops the writing of data to the HDD. Also, a power cycle can be more effective as a restart doesn't reset all the chips. It's the same with any computer. A restart is ok for clearing some of the counters, but a reset is either a button (which the TiVo doesn't have) or a power cycle. Personal preference.

11. tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    After the Skip Mode update I did see a sluggishness of going from My Shows to the show starting, and an overall slowness of the menu items. No Picture freezes. I had restarted the device by going to standby and unplugging, I don't think it helped any. I now tried using the Help Restart and a noticeable difference, I'd say back to normal.