1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Roamio Pro and Comcast Questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Johnny Dancing, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Johnny Dancing

Johnny Dancing Closet Rebel

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    I moved over to Directv years ago and the eventually forced off TiVo and have been using their DVR Boxes which are fine.

However, we are moving to a new home on a heavily wooded lot. I am pretty sure I'll need to move to comcast.

In researching their equipment DVR and whole home options, they don't seem as good as directv options.

Then I discovered the TiVo Roamio Pro and TiVo Minis.

I believe the minis can play anything off the TiVo Roamio Pro as long as the mini has a networked coax connection or an ethernet connection to the same network as the TiVo Roamio Pro ?

One thing I read is that it will work well with comcast but not always with PPV and instant access depending on where one gets comcast service. Those articles were a few years old so maybe things changed.

Anyway, does anyone use TiVo Roamio Pro and minis with Comcast? How do you like it?

Also, how do I determine if I am in an area where PPV and instant access on the TiVo Roamio Pro will be supported by comcast?

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I don't have any Minis, but Comcast works great on my Roamio Pros. Xfinity On Demand can be a bit tricky to get set up, but if you call the CableCARD hotline at 877-405-2298 they can get it working while correctly pairing the card. The key is that you have to have a specific "Premiere" code on your account.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  3. Johnny Dancing

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    So you have multiple Roamio Pros and different locations? One thing I like about directv is My main DVR records everything and the small genies at two secondary tvs have full access to the main DVR. I hear dish hopper even better at this.

After researching I discovered this TiVo option but reviews are limited and the videos I have found setting up with minis are quite confusing. It does seem to do what I want it to to and over a few years the comcast rental and HD monthly savings would cover costs.

Would love to hear from some pluses an minuses of the TiVo Roamio Pro with minis from more actual users.

4. Johnny Dancing

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    I just realized the Roamio's are older pre 4k tech. Posted in the wrong forum. I will repost in the TiVo BOLT VOX forum since if I go this direction that is what I will be getting.

5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    We have a Roamio Pro and 1 Mini which are working well with Comcast as is XOD (On Demand). Never used PPV so can't really comment.

Scott

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Comcast’s app for on-demand took a while to fully deploy, but it’s been in wide release for at least 3 years. That said, you may want to review the following thread:

We’ve been using a couple Pro’s with 7+ Mini’s for 3+ years, and it’s a great solution. The cost savings of the Mini let us deploy standalone clients to far more locations than Comcast’s pricing would allow, putting aside Comcast’s tech limits.

Some limitations... Live TV channel surfing on the Mini is more limited than via the DVR owing to access to just a single tuner; a Mini can’t pop in to the menu system while continuing playback; and the Xfinity on-demand app for TiVo is limited to a single active stream per host DVR.

7. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Yes, they work fine. I have multiple TiVos, and multiple Minis. They all work with each other, seamlessly. However, they need to be on a wired Ethernet network, not wireless. The imitations mentioned above are as close to non-issues as can be, since you are dealing with a remote client, not the actual DVR itself. I wouldn't expect a client to have multiple streams (and if you don't know what I'm talking about, you can ignore it; not an issue).

And Comcast works fine, and OD works fine. There is some concern that houses on Fiber may lose Comcast OnDemand, but the houses on pure fiber are rare. Having said that, I'm moving in two weeks to a condo with pure fiber, I can update you then. But for 99.9% of households not on fiber, no issues.

I also have DirecTV, with a Genie, and three Minis. They is little difference in how they both approach client architecture (other than the differences in DirecTV vs TiVo itself). I find the TiVo Minis to be lightning fast, because they are hard-wired. The Genie clients are a little slower. I have one hard-wired, it's reasonable fast (but not like a TiVo Mini), and two clients wireless. They are pitifully slow to get started.

Ask away, I'm pretty familiar with both systems. And use both frequently.

8. grey ghost

grey ghost Member

Feb 1, 2010
    I have 2 Roamios and a mini on Comcast and they work great. Once you get the cable cards paired, it's smooth sailing with all channels and VOD in an app. I use one of the Roamios to serve as the MoCA host and that's how I get the internet distributed to the other Tivos in my house. I am not fortunate enough to have Ethernet drops all over the house and I've really have no problems.

krkaufman likes this.
  9. Finalrinse

Finalrinse Member

Jan 12, 2005
    S.E. Michigan
    I have a Roamio Pro, Roamio for OTA, and (5) mini's with Comcast and working well!