TiVo Roamio Pro 3 TB DVR... Old Version?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by rdrrepair, Apr 23, 2018.

1. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York

Advertisements

Currently looking for another TiVo as a gift for my son who is moving out. He's known nothing but TiVo for his entire life. A couple of questions...

What is the difference between the 3TB Roamio units? Old version vs what exactly?

I'd like to get one that can do ota or cable without adding a cable card adapter. He's moving to an area where ota should be plentiful but I'd like to make sure he's able to use it as he sees fit.

I know that the "Pro" is cable only as it has six tuners but am still curious about the "Old Version" distinction as I'm also looking to replace my XL4 as the Bolt doesn't do component.

I honestly think that the Roamio, for my needs, is a better fit but maybe I'm not giving enough credit to the Bolt. I've owned, at one time or another, every series made by TiVo.

Thanks for your help and your educated opinions.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A basic four tuner Roamio is the box that does OTA or cable. It takes about 10 minutes to change the drive. I've been using one with a 3TB drive for two years. I never heard of a "new" or "old" as respect to a Roamio. But to be exact, I have four. Manufacturing dates of 9/2013, 11/2014, 3/2015 and 7/2017. All are 100% operational.

3. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    I constantly see the "Old Version" terminology on several EBay posting and was unsure what they were referencing.

4. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    Perhaps a reference to the fact that the "current" TiVo DVR is the Bolt, so the Roamio is the "old version".

Mikeguy likes this.
  5. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008

Advertisements

There are two motherboards and four models in the Roamio line.

Roamio basic = 4 tuners, cable or OTA, 500GB or 1TB. Roamio OTA = a basic without the CableCARD adapter (which you can buy and install yourself).
    Roamio Plus = 6 tuners, cable only. Roamio Pro = a Plus with a 3TB drive instead of a 1TB drive.

I think Diana nailed it.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If you're wanting flexibility of OTA or cable, then you'd need a 4-tuner basic Roamio, a Roamio OTA w/ a DIY CableCARD adapter added, or a 4-tuner BOLT. And any of these choices would require a DIY hard drive upgrade if you're looking for capacity above 1TB.

If shopping aftermarket for a Lifetime/All-in unit, you'll want to confirm service by contacting TiVo with the prospective TSN.