TIVO Roamio plus is acting nuts. Please help

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Johnny Danger, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Nov 3, 2019 #1 of 11
    Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Hello.

My TIVO Roamio first had the HDMI output stop working. I switched over to component.

Maybe 8 months later, the Ethernet does not seem to work. It said like " invalid gateway address" for 192.168.1.1(which is correct gateway address for my router)

The video is now scrambled. The cablecard shows as installed.

I tried to do the secret codes and when I reset the unit, the amber/yellow light never blinds but is solid when the unit is reset.

I did upgrade to a 8TB hard drive which is like at 90%+ capacity.

There was also some lightning storms and power surges in my house however the unit is on a surge protector strip.

It seem that everything is wrong with this machine.

What else can I try before burning it then throwing it in the ocean?

Thanks.

2. Nov 3, 2019 #2 of 11
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Perhaps, contact TiVo customer support about a possible sweetheart deal on a replacement, given the failure of the TiVo equipment? I'm not sure about a complication from the hard drive, though (i.e. if you would want to put the original drive back in before calling, to avoid TiVo seeing that as an issue/barrier).

3. Nov 4, 2019 #3 of 11
    Wigohwt

Wigohwt Member

Jun 9, 2019
    That's a lot to lose. See if you can still use kmttg to pull most of that off in case you replace the unit.
    Of course, with the Ethernet problem. :(
    Check router. You can set an IP in the Roamio as well.
    Did the built-in wireless option work for the guide, etc.?
    Did you lose pairing? When pairing goes out, usually those protected channels aren't video scrambled, but act as unauthorized channels. So maybe a different issue. A problem now with the component output? Check your connections and try a different TV if possible.
    Bad CC?
    If you have a spare 8TB drive lying around, I'd try a clone just as a test.

4. Nov 5, 2019 #4 of 11
    Sywlgee

Sywlgee New Member

May 8, 2017
    Usually, as advised from one of the reps that I've talked to before, repalacing the drive causes malfunctions.

5. Nov 5, 2019 #5 of 11
    Wigohwt

Wigohwt Member

Jun 9, 2019
    Of course they are going to say that. They want you to buy a new box.

6. Nov 8, 2019 #6 of 11
    jonw747

jonw747 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Given the circumstances, the power supply may be failing. If you're interested in fixing the box, you could explore testing/swapping that out yourself or contact Weaknees have them try to fix your unit.

7. Nov 9, 2019 #7 of 11
    Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    You say you have a surge protector power strip, but do you have one on the coax? A lightning strike on an utility pole can send a surge down the coax and damage solid state devices. Is the coax at least grounded outside?

8. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    I ran diagnostic on the hard drive and still did not work. I replaced the hard drive and reformatted everything. Still did not work.

HDMI port went out like a year ago during a thunderstorm but everything else seem to be ok until recently.

Do you know if these use standard power supplies or if there is a way to test if the power supply is working correctly?

Thanks.

9. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Hello.

UPS was for power but not for coax. I forgot the UPS have a port for the coax cable. There was a storm in which I heard thunder very close to the house. All the power went out for the house and my computer stopped working. In the aftermath, the only damage I saw on the TIVO was the HDMI stopped working however everything else was working fine until now.

Brand new hard drive did not fix the problem. What option do I have left?

Replacement motherboard, power supply,etc?

Thanks.

10. jonw747

jonw747 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    I haven't replaced the power supply in my Roamio. If you can't find a replacement or don't feel comfortable doing it, call Weaknees and try to find out how much it would cost to repair (maybe you can send them a picture of the insides/components?), and/or contact TiVo and see what they might do for you.

If there's lightning damage, you may see signs of burnt out parts or even burnt out traces (albeit with multi-layer boards it can be internal traces that fry). Also look for bulging or flat out missing caps. If anything burnt up, there may even be a lingering smell.

11. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    If you are paying a monthly or yearly subscription then you have the continual care warranty and I think Tivo will send you another unit for $49. If you have all-in service, Tivo may transfer your service to another unit for a fee. You could look for a used tivo with the same model number and swap out the power supply and hard drive and see if that resolves your issue.

Johnny Danger likes this.