TiVO Roamio Plus DVR, Tuner Connection Failure?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by WestCoastD, Jan 17, 2016.

1. WestCoastD

WestCoastD New Member

Nov 19, 2015
    TiVO Roamio Plus DVR (Model No. R84800) exhibiting intermittent cable broadcast behavior. I'm using Time Warner Cable (TWC) Tuning Adapter and CableCard.

Cable broadcast drops-out. I press "Live TV" button, broadcast re-appears, then drops out after a few minutes. This has been going on now for two days.

Getting error message:
    "Live TV is temporarily unavailable. The DVR is using a setting that requires all tuners."

I contacted TiVO technical support: technician suggested to-
    [A] "set all TiVO's to a static IP"
    "forward my NetGear switch, clone the Roamio MAC address"
    [C] "forward gateway IP- set date & time, open all ports.

However, he would not provide hands on help to implement these suggestions?

So I contacted Time Warner Cable, Cable Card group. They went through Cable Card settings, verified tuner adapter is providing proper signals, all good. But still experiencing cable drop-out.

Could this be a Roamio Plus unit failure? Have only been operating unit for maybe 2 months now. Essentially brand new.

I need help! Thank you

2. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    I had the exact same thing about a month ago. It was the tuning adapter. Take a look at the TA when it drops out and see if the green light on front starts blinking while its out. If it does then that's it.

I just called in and during the automated system's questions I said "missing channels" and then it asked if I wanted them to send refresh signals which I did. That fixed it for me, but if it doesn't for you then have them recheck the TA's provisioning and activation on your account.

3. A4EP

A4EP New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Sounds similar to the problem I am having on two different Tivos connected to Time Warner. Been doing it for two weeks, replaced both tuning adapters and still no fix. Time warner has no clue why it is doing this, nor does TiVo.

Right now I am trying to manipulate the signal and lower it a bit, if it works I will let you know.

4. WestCoastD

WestCoastD New Member

Nov 19, 2015
    really appreciate your input!

So this (sunday) morning, while observing drop-out behavior, I took notice of tuning adapter front LED indicator- it does transition from constant ON to blinking right at the exact moment of cable drop-out.

At this point I have bounced my AV system rack power conditioner, which re-starts everything (TiVO Roamio DVR, tuning adapter, switch, TV, everything, etc.,...). Cable broadcast functioning normal so far. If drop-outs return I will contact CableCard support.

When I contacted Time Warner Cable, Cable Card group yesterday (saturday) they did re-send refreshing signal ("pushed EMM's" from 0 to 60). Although drop-outs returned maybe 3 hours later.

Also, when you called in you contacted TWC Tuning Adapter/CableCard tech support group, correct? Was it this No.: (866)532-2598 ?

Thanks again

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  5. Expidia

Expidia Albany, NY

Jul 10, 2015
    I went through the same issue a month ago. Many wasted hours trying to tweak the system with Tivo, TW and here.
    Do not bother to call Tivo.
    Its a tuner adapter issue.
    If you reboot the tuner by unplugging it for a minute it will clear the issue only to come back again at some point.
    Good to reboot the TA once a month anyway.
    If problem persists:
    Do not go to the store and ask for a replacement as you will get old TA stock that was simply turned back into them.

Call time warner and ask them to mail you out a connection kit which has another TA and cablecard.
    Install both and then call the TW cable card national help desk and have them repair your card and they will send a signal to the new TA.

I'm 99% sure this will solve your issue as it did mine.

Here is my original thread. Can't hurt to read it as if you do the recommended tweaks suggested here it will put your system (like splitting the signal to the TA and your Tivo and installing a POE filter on the input of the TA) in a better overall condition, but none will solve your problem.

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=533815

Get the TA connection kit mailed to you by TW first (its free and you are paying for monthly TW service, so why not have them give you a non defective TA). While you are waiting (it comes in a day or two with a free return label). Do some of the tweaks mentioned in the thread.

Tivo will tell you your signal has to be between like 27-35 but that won't solve the issue.

Report back if a new TA solved your issue (another card is free and comes with the kit which rules out a card issue).

6. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    Same (I think) problem started with me this month. This is a Roamio Plus on Time-Warner/Spectrum cable.

A week or two back, I noticed that several programs (probably all) did not record (no tuner available) or only recorded for olny a minute, or sometimes less, and then stopped recording.

A power off reboot of the TiVo seemed to fix things but not really. The same symptoms returned. At one point I notice that all tuners were locked on some channel I don't get.

Today, after finding this thread, I noticed the blinking TA light when certain channels were dead. Then the TA started working (solid light) and then it quit again.

As an expedient, I disconnected the TA and deleted (on the TiVo) all channels I did not receive without the TA. So far, TiVo recording is working fine (on non TA channels, of course). I only noticed one TA (missing) channel that I'd still like to have.

Eventually I'll try to get a new TA but no hurry. In general, that TA was nothing but trouble requiring frequent power.off reboots of the TA. I have a Premiere in another room with TA intact and it's acting odd too (but no blinking light). Maybe it's a TA firmware thing? Sure started suddenly.

As mentioned before, TiVo recorded fine on all non-TA channels with TA unplugged and only non-TA channels enabled. I only care about one TA channel so I plugged the TA back in and enabled that one channel on the TiVo. So far so good.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020 at 2:27 AM