1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Roamio Plus 1TB for OTA?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by ladysman, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Oct 5, 2018 #1 of 10
    ladysman

ladysman Member

Apr 15, 2015
    I can't really find a reason why i can't use my existing Roamio Plus for OTA antenna reception but wanted to ask. I'd rather just keep using it since I just paid the yearly subscription on it. I'm tired of comcast and now that we have amazing fiber internet, I really don't need them anymore. Being an ATT customer i'm eyeing Direct TVnow as well.

Can I use it? If so, anything special you need to do besides removing the cable card?

Thanks and sorry for dumb question.

2. Oct 5, 2018 #2 of 10
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Sell it. There is no support for OTA/8VSB reception. I doubt you even get asked during Guided Setup, but TiVo has some strange coding people.

OrangeCrush likes this.
  3. Oct 5, 2018 #3 of 10
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Filtering by modern TiVo DVRs, you'd need a 4-tuner Roamio or 4-tuner BOLT for tuning from OTA antenna; 6-tuner Roamios (Plus & Pro) and 6-tuner BOLTs are all CabledCARD-only.

You may be able to find a relatively cheap 4-tuner Roamio, Roamio OTA, BOLT or BOLT OTA to which TiVo might allow a redirect of your annual subscription. Whether a 4-tuner Roamio is preferable to a 4-tuner BOLT would mostly depend on your need for mobile streaming.

4. Oct 9, 2018 #4 of 10
    shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You might be able to find an inexpensive 4 tuner Roamio online and ask Tivo if you can move the 1 year subscription.

5. fredi

fredi Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Maryland
    Had I known my Roamio Plus was cable only I never would have bought it! Who knew that 4 tuners are better than 6.

I have DirecTV NOW and really like it, but they are raising the price (again) so I'm going to switch to AT&T Watch TV which is free with my phone plan and I will only lose one channel that I watch.

Just like TiVo pushed the 6 tuners, AT&T pushes DirecTV NOW.

6. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    To be fair, there are four cable tuners plus four OTA tuners in that Bolt, eight in all. If you're on a cable system six tuners is a distinct advantage over four. And the fact that Roamio Plus was cable-only was clearly stated in the promotional literature.

7. fredi

fredi Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Maryland
    True, I had called TiVo right after they removed Amazon Prime from the TiVoHD and I had no idea the CSR would offer to upgrade the TiVoHD for $75. Obviously I jumped on the deal, but the CSR didn't have a clue and with a deal like that I wasn't going to hang up. Now the Roamio Plus sits in the closet waiting for it's TiVo upgrade promotion while the TiVoHD rides comfortably around the county in the RV ;^)

8. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, CSRs at TiVo never seem to have a clue. One would think TiVo would care about this. One would be wrong.

9. LarryAtHome

LarryAtHome Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Watch out as some of the promotions require the TiVo to have connected back to TiVo within a time frame, and if sitting in a closet (not powered on) it will not have connected back in the required time period.

Mikeguy likes this.
  10. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You can still use the built-in mobile streaming transcoder in the Roamio Plus to add 4 extra mobile streams to your Bolts.