TiVo Roamio OTA - Weak Sound Issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by tivodolphin, Jun 19, 2015.

1. tivodolphin

tivodolphin New Member

Jun 19, 2015

Advertisements

Hello,
    The sound quality is considerably weak (though it's clear) using TiVo compared to the direct OTA TV input without TiVo. In other words, there is no stereo or Dolby sound through TiVo. It's even weaker with recording videos and the volume is only a half of that of the OTA TV with direct antenna connection. I tried both Dolby Digital and PCM of the TiVo setting, using another antenna, using another HDMI port, but all workaround didn't help at all. The video quality is also slightly lesser on TiVo than the direct TV input. My last option would be trying to use an amplifier of the antenna if this is a signal issue, but not sure it's worth buying. What would be a cause of this issue? Is there any way to solve this issue? My guess is that this weak sound is TiVo's by-design and the TiVo compresses the signal similar to the cable box, though I may be wrong. I appreciate your input.
    Thanks.

2. HDNewbie1028

HDNewbie1028 New Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Have you checked your sound / speaker settings on your TV? I had an issue once with Netflix not working - wasn't running through the Tivo but through an app on my TV. I had to mess around with Dolby and PCM to get it to work. That setting had to be changed back when watching regular TV. Did it that way cuz at the time the Tivo Netflix app wasn't the best.

Eliminated the problem eventually with a sound bar as I didn't like my TV speakers.

My example may not fit your scenario, but you can eliminate possibilities if you look at the speaker settings on the TV as well as the Tivo.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Here's my input: I agree. My AVR indicates that the dialog feed is -3db. When playing a recording it's as if another -3db is applied. But it affects all DD feeds, not so much on stereo or mono channels. I live with it. It doesn't rise to being a problem since everything else works so well. I have no video quality problems, but I have cable so a slight difference is normal.

4. DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Active Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    I've noticed the same thing. About -3db difference between my Roamio and Premiere XL4. Roamio is decidedly lower in volume.

5. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

I don't mind the slight drop with live TV since all the channels are equal, but it's the drop during a playback that really sucks. The drop doesn't happen when I playback a live program that has been delayed by hitting Pause though, so I can't fix something when I can't identify what's broken. Like you, I never heard/hear this on my Premiere.

6. connie_w

connie_w Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 9, 2015
    Arizona
    Maybe my hearing isn't as sensitive, but I haven't noticed any drop in sound from live tv to recorded. This is my second Roamio OTA, my first one had a tuner problem. Though I don't recall a sound problem on it, perhaps it is possible your Roamio's have a defect.

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Due to the lack of widespread complaints, you are probably correct. But without a tool to do testing, I can live with it.

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I wanted to post an observation. I expect my mother to be back from FL soon, and I got her a wireless headphone. Since it was simpler to get the composite TiVo adapter, I chose that method. Seems there is no difference in volume level when using the A/V output for playback vs live TV. The output is 2ch PCM (sound effects always), so I can speculate that the DD HDMI is where the problem can be found. The A/V doesn't disable the HDMI, so there is a very slight delay which makes a small echo. Just something to think about.

9. tivodolphin

tivodolphin New Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Thank you for your insights, everyone!

10. DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Active Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    My experience is a bit different. The Roamio volume is lower on both recorded and live content when compared to the Premiere.

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The Premiere that's connected to the same AVR as my Roamio doesn't have a cable card, so I have only one clear QAM channel to use for comparison. While it is louder, I hesitate to use it for comparison. But, like I said earlier, this doesn't rise to the level of "repair/replace" since it would be a crap shoot to get a better Roamio. Maybe I'll just blame my cable company. ;)

12. tivodolphin

tivodolphin New Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Starting on November, I noticed that the sound became slightly louder on TiVo. I think this is an improvement on the TiVo server. Anyone else notice the same?

13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have nothing to base this on, but I tend to agree. The recordings seem better too.

Either that or my background noise is down since the windows are always closed now. I'll stick with the lower background noise for now.