TiVo Roamio OTA Vs. TiVo Edge Antenna DVR

Discussion in 'TiVo Edge' started by Jim1348, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Jim1348

Jim1348 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2015

Advertisements

I have had a TiVo Roamio OTA for several years now. Would there be any benefit to getting the newer TiVo Edge Antenna DVR?

It states "Available only from Channel Master!" However, I see it at Best Buy, too.

I gather that the Lifetime Service from my current TiVo Roamio OTA cannot be transferred to this.

Does anybody know if there might be any great Black Friday deals on this coming up soon?

With regards to the two tuner vs four tuner issue, is the United States version four tuner and the Canadian version two tuner?

Also, I seem to recall this being announced a year ago, but some articles refer to it being available only a couple of months ago. Was it announced, but then not released right away?

TiVo Edge for Antenna OTA DVR | Digital Recorder Compatible With All TV Antennas | Service Included, No Monthly Fees

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tivo-edge-for-antenna-500-gb-black/6413699.p?skuId=6413699

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    Dan Cour likes this.
  2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I think it would be a big step down and a big unnecessary expense. The current Edge OTA models are only 2-tuner in all regions, have 2.5" disc which is harder to upgrade, can only run TE4 which comes with forced ads and no live guide, and comes with all the reliability issues that many Edge users have posted about here.

There was a 4 tuner version available early on, but those are pretty rare these days, certainly not available new.

If your Roamio is getting long in the tooth, I'll have a lifetime unit up for sale in a couple of months for just a couple hundred bucks which was very lightly used (has been turned off for 3 years now). In the meantime, I'm sure you could pick up another at a similarly low price.

Dan Cour likes this.
  3. Jim1348

Jim1348 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2015
    That is great information. Thank you so much. I do appreciate it.

4. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    There should be a lot of TiVos for sale as channels are being lost and cablecards are not backed by the FCC anymore. I'm sure a lot of folks are just giving in to streaming it the awful cable box.

5. Parks

Parks New Member

Nov 8, 2020

Advertisements

I just went through the TiVo ordering insanity. Ordered the 2-Tuner Edge from the Channel Master link on TiVo's web page. The 2-tuner model doesn't work with any of the Extenders (Mini, Vox or Lux). Returned the 2-tuner model to Channel Master 2 days later for a full refund and ordered the 4-Tuner Edge for Antenna 2-TB storage on Amazon ($400). Now I'm wrestling with one of my two Mini Lux extenders not liking my MOCA network. The Edge and the 1st Mini Lux extender are both working flawlessly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YD24GZC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Whoa, $500 plus another $250 for lifetime! I had no idea. A few months ago, I sold my other 1TB Roamio Basic (4 OTA and cable tuners) including lifetime for just $200.

Parks likes this.