1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo roamio OTA support out of home streaming?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by bellbm, Nov 23, 2018.

1. bellbm

bellbm Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Chicago
    Does the refurb TiVo OTA they are selling support out of home streaming without a standalone stream? I don’t think so, but when I called TiVo they said it does.

OrangeCrush likes this.
  2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    They are confused. Roamio basic and OTA models do not have a built-in stream, but Roamio Plus and Pro does. Just 1 stream is needed for the entire network. This includes out and in home network.

OrangeCrush likes this.
  3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What @ThAbtO said; the Roamio OTA lacks built-in mobile streaming functionality.

I expect that the TiVo representative was getting confused with the the new BOLT OTA ... which *does* support mobile streaming.

OrangeCrush likes this.
  4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    You are being very generous.

tampa8 likes this.
  5. mroy5150

mroy5150 New Member

May 30, 2017
    I have a TiVo Roamio OTA and it does not support outside the home streaming. However I bought a TiVo Stream and can now stream live tv and recordings to my mobile devices inside and outside of my home. This is a discontinued device but I found one on eBay that was in great condition for around $70.

krkaufman likes this.
  6. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Member

Feb 18, 2016
    Out of home streaming keeps popping up on the product description for the Roamio OTA, despite it not being supported. It's a recurring error that TiVo has been making for years. I feel like they're copying-and-pasting from some template they never bothered to correct.

krkaufman likes this.
  7. mroy5150

mroy5150 New Member

May 30, 2017
    I think they may be using some poetic license. It supports outside the home streaming but not on it's own.

8. ke3ju

ke3ju Ed Ludwig

Jan 4, 2004
    Seminole, FL
    It did when I bought mine too. But once I got it, it didn't do it. It made me mad. But not enough to send it back.

9. ke3ju

ke3ju Ed Ludwig

Jan 4, 2004
    Seminole, FL
    If the TiVo App worked on the FireTV I'd spring for a Stream.

10. tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    TIVO should be more clear I agree but what they say is indeed correct, it does support out of home streaming in fact that is the correct terminology. It does not have it, it supports it. It's more of an issue now that getting a streaming device for it is not always easy so if there is a misunderstanding it may not be an issue of spending more money it could be you can not stream.

11. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Member

Feb 18, 2016
    I don't think it's correct to say the Roamio OTA supports out of home streaming. You have to buy a (discontinued) add-on device to make that possible. If they said something along the lines of "Supports out of home streaming with an add-on device" that'd be one thing, but not mentioning the device suggests it's an out-of-the-box feature, which it is not.

They've also admitted it's an error in the ad copy and they usually correct it once someone notices, so TiVo doesn't even think that's an accurate statement.

compuguy, Mikeguy and krkaufman like this.
  12. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    My toaster supports it based on that logic. :p

13. tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    Hmm - isn't that what I said. Tivo should be more clear. My Roamio supports out of home streaming. Support - to assist. Yes they should add with an add on streaming device to be clearer. However If the Roamio did not support streaming the add on streaming box would be useless.

14. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Member

Feb 18, 2016
    And if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon. :p

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  15. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Tivo still sells the Roamio Plus in the outlet center, which has a built-in Tivo stream and would allow out of home streaming for the Roamio OTA. It only costs $349 and you have to pay $14.99 per month for service.

16. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Member

Feb 18, 2016
    For that price, you're better off getting a stream from eBay or watching to see if Weaknees gets any in. They can still be had for $75 or so if you do some hunting.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    A new BOLT OTA could be had for less than half that cost. (as compared to refurb Roamio OTA plus Roamio Plus)

Honestly, if a new OTA customer is looking at TiVo and has a requirement for mobile streaming, or wants to be well-positioned for the release of the anticipated streaming box app, it’s tough to argue against the BOLT OTA. (Well, aside from it being less flexible for DIY drive upgrades, and having zero chance of supporting CableCARD, if needed.)

compuguy likes this.
  18. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Member

Feb 18, 2016
    Yeah, I don't understand why anyone would want both a Roamio OTA *and* a Roamio Plus. If you want the cable card & out of home streaming . . just get the Plus. You can find them on eBay with lifetime for about the price TiVo wants for a refurbished unit without lifetime.

compuguy likes this.
  19. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    My Stream is for sale. PM if interested.

20. Jim1348

Jim1348 Active Member

Jan 3, 2015
    My Stream is for sale, too. PM if interested.