Tivo Roamio OTA - No guide data on the channels actually receiving reception.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by UkiahWoes, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Mar 1, 2018 #1 of 14
    UkiahWoes

UkiahWoes New Member

Mar 1, 2018

Advertisements

Hi Folks, lurker for a while and first time poster-prompted by an unfortunate issue. :( Figured I would give it a try with all the experience on these boards and see what folks suggest.

I have a Tivo Roamio OTA. It has always worked great, until now. I recently moved, and the broadcast channels in my area (zip code 95470) is a special situation. Due to the rural nature of the area, there is a local group (Ukiah Television Improvement Association) who repeats the network channels out of the San Francisco Bay Area on local frequencies up here.

This has created a situation in which my Tivo guide will show guide data for the network channels out of the bay area, but I don't actually receive any reception on those channels. Meanwhile, the channels I ACTUALLY receive reception on continually list "To be announced."

I have tried calling Tivo support more times than I can count, done countless email chains, and multitudes of guided setups and box resets to no avail. Unfortunately, every single customer representative I am getting has absolutely no idea what I am talking about when I tell them this issue and just goes back to the standard "lets do repeat guided setup and I'll forward your issue if it persists". This is getting extremely frustrating. How to I get Tivo to recognize the following and adjust it accordingly so I get guide data on the channels that are actually receiving reception?

Here is what is going on;

I receive guide data on: Channel 5-1, KPIXDT, Frequency 29
    I receive the actual reception on: Channel 5-1, KPIX-TV, Frequency 27.
    Tivo needs to duplicate the guide data for 5-1 KPIXDT Freq 29 to 5-1 KPIX-TV Freq 27.

I receive guide data on: Channel 5-2, KPIXDT2, Frequency 29
    I receive the actual reception on: Channel 5-2, Decades, Frequency 27.
    Tivo needs to duplicate the guide data for 5-2 KPIXDT2 Freq 29 to 5-2 Decades Freq 27.

I receive guide data on: Channel 9-1, KQEDDT, Frequency 30
    I receive the actual reception on: Channel 9-1, KQED-HD, Frequency 21.
    Tivo needs to duplicate the guide data for 9-1 KQEDDT Freq 30 to 9-1 KQED-HD Freq 21.

I receive guide data on: Channel 9-2, KQEDDT2, Frequency 30
    I receive the actual reception on: Channel 9-2, KQED+HD, Frequency 21.
    Tivo needs to duplicate the guide data for 9-2 KQEDDT2 Freq 30 to 9-2 KQED+HD Freq 21.

I receive guide data on: Channel 9-3, KQEDDT3, Frequency 30
    I receive the actual reception on: Channel 9-3, WORLD, Frequency 21.
    Tivo needs to duplicate the guide data for 9-3 KQEDDT3 Freq 30 to 9-3 WORLD Freq 21.

I receive guide data on: Channel 9-4, KQEDDT4, Frequency 30
    I receive the actual reception on: Channel 9-4, KIDS, Frequency 21.
    Tivo needs to duplicate the guide data for 9-4 KQEDDT4 Freq 30 to 9-4 KIDS Freq 21.

Thank you!

2. Mar 1, 2018 #2 of 14
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    After choosing your zipcode, is there a provider listed as: Broadcast TV/Translators (Ukiah)? I'm looking at tvguide.com and it normally has the same database and lineup as TiVo.

Have you tried this -> Report a Lineup Issue

3. Mar 1, 2018 #3 of 14
    UkiahWoes

UkiahWoes New Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Aye, tried the report a line-up issue a couple times and never heard anything back from anyone.

As far as putting in the zip code and a provider listed as Broadcast TV/Translators (Ukiah), are you talking about on the Tivo? For the Roamio OTA all I do is put in my zip (95470) and scan the channels-no option to select a provider.

4. Mar 1, 2018 #4 of 14
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Sorry, I saw it in tvguide.com and forgot to notice the decimal points. I can't see any easy path. Sorry. Have you tried social media? TiVo monitors Twitter.

BTW, does your TV map the channels correctly?

5. Mar 1, 2018 #5 of 14
    UkiahWoes

UkiahWoes New Member

Mar 1, 2018

Advertisements

Have not tried social media..

Yes, if I have the coax go into the TV it does display the channels fine, just no guide data as my TV doesn't have that feature.

Interesting enough, I also have a Channel Master DVR+ and that works correctly with a full 2 weeks of guide data for the channels I am actually getting reception on. I would rather use my TiVo though as I much prefer its interface (and the 4 tuners) over the DVR+. Wish Tivo could figure out what the DVR+ has in regards to this area and the line-up situation.

6. Mar 1, 2018 #6 of 14
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I guess you know there is a thread on AVSForum for the DVR+? It recently switched its guide from TiVo(Rovi) to Google. Since the TV works and the TiVo doesn't, that would be my first line on any communication with TiVo. My expectations are low.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/1481183-channel-master-dvr-owners-thread.html sadly, it has been discontinued.

7. Mar 2, 2018 #7 of 14
    V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    You need to keep submitting the Lineup Issues correction form, and monitor the associated open problem in the support screen for updates and requests for more information - if they post any status change or questions, you MUST respond there or nothing else will happen on your problem. This is the only way you will get the lineup fixed unless you can get connected with TiVo Executive relations.

8. Mar 2, 2018 #8 of 14
    UkiahWoes

UkiahWoes New Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have been going back and forth with them in the support portal for 2-3 weeks now. It is very frustrating to say the least to have them continually tell me to just do a guided setup and it should fix itself. I don't think they even read what I write most of the time.

I would not be surprised if this never gets fixed. I've never done Facebook/twitter but I am thinking I may need to take the advice from above and get them on social media.

9. Mar 3, 2018 #9 of 14
    tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Just happened with one set of channels for me in the Chicago area. The 24.x channels. Used to be on frequency 26, now on frequency 20. No guide data on 20 and no signal on 26. For now I am doing manual recordings on the shows I watch on 20. Have removed freq 26 channels. It will PROBABLY work itself out, I'm going to wait and see before spending a load of time with Tivo.

10. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I setup recurring manual recordings for the shows on freq 20. Of course in your list of shows it will not show the titles of the actual shows since no guide data. But at least you will have them until they get it worked out.

11. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    I have had your exact same problem three different times on different channels since the Bad_Rovi disaster started at the end of 2016 - seems to happen any time there is a channel lineup change, especially if current channels change ownership or affiliation. I do eventually get them to fix it, but it is never easy. Bad_Rovi does not really care about their user experience, especially if you live in a rural area where you may be the only unfortunate customer affected by their sloppy work.

12. hapster85

hapster85 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Previously had a similar situation here, in which a distantly located CW affiliate was rebroadcast locally. When TiVo made the switch to Rovi guide info, they got it totally wrong, but submitting a lineup change on the website took care of it within a couple of days.

The guide data for that channel got screwed up again after upgrading to Hydra, but a lineup change submission took care of it within days.

Weird that you haven't gotten any response after submitting. I've already gotten an automated response, and then one from someone in the department shortly thereafter. Including a detailed description in the comments section when submitting may help, if you haven't already tried that.

13. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Yes, lots of detail in the comments section is very important when reporting this type of problem - especially since none of the existing problem types on the basic form actually fit this problem at all. You just have to bluff your way through the entries for whatever problem type seems closest, then give them all the info in the comments. Here is a hint: when you are trying to fill in the required fields on the form, you do not need the real information (such as call letters, channel numbers, etc.) - the form will take just about anything. including "see comments"

hapster85 likes this.
  14. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    And be sure to mention the fact that this is being translated by this group in your lineup reports. It seems they have more issues with fixing their lineups when translators are involved.

Scott