1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Roamio OTA Freezes on Waking Up Screen

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by asquared, Oct 23, 2016.

1. asquared

asquared New Member

Sep 28, 2016
    San Diego
    Hello,

I bought a TiVo Roamio OTA just over a month ago and it was working great. About 2 weeks ago I bought a TiVo mini and got that hooked up as well. Everything is connected through Ethernet.

On Friday the TiVo froze on the Waking Up... blue screen. In the morning I noticed it when the mini was unable to borrow the tuner from the OTA, and it still did not work when I got home from work. I unplugged restarted the Roamio and everything started working again. Today it was doing the same thing, unplugged and it started working again.

I searched for this same problem and didn't find much. There was one older thread but no resolution in place. We've been putting the Roamio in standby mode each time we're done using it, and will try not doing that for now to see if it works.

The TiVo tech said that since the Roamio needs at least 15 mbps of speed to work properly, that was the reason why we're having trouble. We have about 6-8 mbps of speed, but have noticed no issues because of this with the Roamio or streaming so far. I can't find any information on that piece online, and they failed to email me the info they said they would, so I'm coming here for advice.

Any idea what was causing this? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Sorry I don't have a mini so not sure about that problem.

But in regards to the 15 Mbps that is the speed of your internal network. If you have everything connected via Ethernet the connection between your Roamio & Mini should be limited by the TiVo hardware at close to 100 Mbps and not be any issue at all.

When you say you have 6-8 Mbps I am assuming you are talking about your Internet connection, correct? Which should have no affect on streaming between your Mini & Roamio OTA.

3. asquared

asquared New Member

Sep 28, 2016
    San Diego
    Correct, the 6-8 mbps is the internet speed. Even when I couldn't borrow the live tuner with my mini, I was still able to view recorded content.

The TiVo tech sent me to the speed test website to test out the internet speed. This issue is with the Roamio OTA getting stuck in wake up mode. There doesn't seem to be any issues with the OTA and mini speed over Ethernet.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    IMO, the speed of your LAN or Internet connection is irrelevant.

I've had this problem, recently, on 2 different Roamio Pros. Fortunately, the problem hasn't yet recurred on either, in my case.

5. tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    Disconnect the Mini and see if the TIVO problem persists. If you are not able to view live even sometimes but can view recorded via the Mini, there is something wrong and it could be the reason the TIVO isn't acting correctly.
    I have actual experience that it could be the case. When I first connected my Mini via powerline I could rarely watch live but could recorded. I noticed the TIVO was taking forever to obtain a tuner and sometimes going from recorded to live it would freeze for at least a short while. Disconnecting the Mini fixed it. I then found a plug where I could put the powerline and get perfect use of the Mini and have not had problems with the TIVO.
    Are you using a powerline? Regardless the fact you sometimes can't watch live on the Mini may be affecting the Tivo.

There are other things involved, it is common for older modems to not be able to handle today's internet and intranet uses. I also find assigning a LAN IP address to devices can help solve problems, maybe maybe not this kind of problem.

6. Dennis Vlasich

Dennis Vlasich New Member

Jan 21, 2018
    I

I have a 100 Mbps Internet connection, Cat 5e (100MB) LAN cabling, and a gigabit switch and am having this same problem. It seems to happen when I put the Tivo OTA in standby and then turn on the Mini upstairs. I check the network on the Mini and it checks everything as OK. I have to reboot the Tivo OTA in order to get my network back. This is very frustrating.

7. Jun 8, 2018 #7 of 14
    Ryan Child

Ryan Child New Member

Jun 6, 2018
    Same exact problem here, I’ve had my Mini and Roamio OTA for a few years now, haven’t changed anything with my network or setup, just started happening.

8. Jun 9, 2018 #8 of 14
    Dennis Vlasich

Jan 21, 2018

9. Jun 9, 2018 #9 of 14
    Dennis Vlasich

Jan 21, 2018
    My TiVo mini continues to drop network connectivity and it’s getting more frequent and frustrating. It drops in the middle of a show and the network is solid. My Amazon Fire is on the same network and had no such problems. I’m very disappointed in the product.

10. PowerMove

PowerMove New Member

Jul 18, 2017
    Same here. This is such a pain in the ass. Did you ever find a solution?

11. Headford

Headford New Member

Aug 28, 2013
    This could be the "Standby Bug" that was introduced in May (Mini trying to connect to a Roamio in deep sleep).

See discussion in this thread:

20.7.4.rc42

12. PowerMove

PowerMove New Member

Jul 18, 2017
    I believe you are correct. However, I had not seen this issue on my hardware until the past few weeks. Perhaps it took that long for the S/W updates to roll out to my Roamio and Mini?

It's rather disconcerting that this issue was introduced in May and yet it continues to manifest itself even though the calendar now reads September.

13. Tommy Newton

Tommy Newton New Member

Sep 7, 2018
    My Ota and mini have just developed this problem in the last few weeks. Having to unplug the ota constantly to reboot. Have had them for over 3 years without any problems. Must be a software update glitch that introduced this problem. PLEASE TiVo fix this if your listening. Thanks to anyone else with any ideas.

14. Headford

Headford New Member

Aug 28, 2013
    For me, simply hitting the TiVo button on the Roamio remote temporarily solves the problem (it wakes the Roamio from sleep -- problem won't reoccur until Roamio goes back into sleep). No reboot required.

Sleep setting (on the Roamio, not the Mini) found in Settings & Messages / Remote, CableCard & Devices / Power Saving Settings/ [Choices -- Manual, Low, Medium and High].

What mitigates the problem is to choose Manual such that the Roamio does not go into Power Savings mode.