TIVO Roamio OTA deletes all shows or restart

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tvuncorkvet, Oct 18, 2017.

1. tvuncorkvet

tvuncorkvet New Member

Aug 18, 2015

Advertisements

I have 2 OTAs in which I installed 6TB drives about 18 months ago which I will call OTA A and B. I also have another OTA that was purchased about a year ago in which I installed an 8TB drive that I will call OTA C. A and B are set up as mirror image copies on one another for archiving purposes and since their drives were filling up I purchased 2 more WD 8TB drives. I installed one 8TB drive in A and did a mass transfer from the B to A. When that was finished and verified, I took the 8TB drive out of A and did a sector by sector copy of that drive to the second 8TB drive.

I then installed both 8TB drives into both A and B. A booted up in the normal time and displayed all of the shows and worked properly. B took significantly longer than normal to boot up and apparently deleted the directory because no shows showed up in My shows and nothing was in the Recently deleted shows folder. So I installed one of the original 6TB drives in B and the same thing happened again.

I reinstalled the second 6TB drive back in A and the now empty 8TB drive back in B and attempted a mass transfer from A to B but nothing happened - nothing copied and nothing showed up in B's to-do-list. I attempted to transfer a single show from A to B as well as from C and several model 3 TIVOs. In each case, although I could see the shows on the other TIVOs, when I attempted to transfer the show, B gave a message saying the show didn't exist on the other TIVOs.

I allowed B with the empty 8TB drive to record new shows for about a week and verified they were there and could be played. I then did a Restart on B and everything again disappeared. A and C both work fine with their 8TB drives but B continues to give problems.

I called TIVO support and reported the problems I was having with shows disappearing and not transferring and they sent me a replacement TIVO, OTA D. Unfortunately it does the exact same thing as B so I suspect it is a software problem rather than a hardware problem as I first thought.

When I reinstalled the original 1TB drive in D, all of my problems disappeared.

The only difference I see between A and C which both work and B and D which both fail is the software version. A and C are at 20.7.2 and B and D are at 20.7.4.

Has anyone else had any of these problems with larger drives on the newer software versions?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Tivo are not meant for long term storage/archive of your shows. As you have seen, when a drive fails, you lose everything from the shows to the passes. Changing the drive meant starting over again as if it was new.

What drives are you using? Never use 7200 RPM drives for Tivo. Runs hotter, uses more power than the Tivo supplies.

What you need is a NAS for your storage. There are models you can install PyTivo on it to enable transfers from the NAS. You can just keep 1 copy of the shows, transfer over when you want to watch.

3. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    There is a 3tb max size drive you could put in without specially preparing the drive. Did you do that? In any event, buying multiple TiVo’s just to have more storage is a poor plan. As the other responder said, much better to offload to a pc/nas.

4. tvuncorkvet

tvuncorkvet New Member

Aug 18, 2015
    I think you misunderstood my post. I did NOT loose a drive, I upgraded it from a 6TB to a 8TB. The 6TB drives are WD video drives and the 8TB are WD red NAS drives. All are 5600 RPM

There are several reasons for these 2 OTAs. They are used for shows I REALLY want to record and keep until I can watch them. Sometimes one of them will fail to record a show or record only pieces of it for various reasons. Having 2 OTAs recording the exact same shows at the same time doubles my chances of not missing any recordings. If one fails to record a show I simply transfer it from the other OTA. Having the 2 OTAs also protects from a failed drive. I realize there are other ways of doing the same thing but this is the way I have implemented it. It really has nothing to do with the problems I experienced.

5. tvuncorkvet

tvuncorkvet New Member

Aug 18, 2015

Advertisements

6. tvuncorkvet

tvuncorkvet New Member

Aug 18, 2015
    As I said in the original post, when I used a 1TB drive in the failing OTAs, everything worked as expected. That's why I suspect it has something to do with a change in the support for the larger drives between 20.7.2 and 20.7.4. Again, the use of 2 OTAs is not for more storage, it's for redundancy.

7. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    OTA does not fail more often than a typical cable does, to be able to record them.
    Most of the reasons shows failed to record from cable is from cable card issues, provisions, and outages. OTA does not exhibit these issues. Short of being interrupted by breaking news or sporting events.

If you want to hold onto shows, better to download and store on a NAS or computer, until its time to watch. You can delete them off the Tivo for more recording space.

I use a 4TB in my Roamio and download shows I want to keep, remove commercials and store on a NAS. So far I only do this for movies, and entire series of classic shows. My storage space is just 20% on the Tivo.

8. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    This is the issue. You can't just clone the drive bit for bit and have it work on a second TiVo.

If you stick a drive into TiVo that it wasn't using before, all the shows on that drive will disappear, except maybe the ones in the Recently deleted folder. After that, if you try to use a drive that was previously from that unit, the same thing will happen, the shows will disappear. If you want your cloned drive to work on the other unit you'll need to do clear and delete everything, but then there was no point in cloning it.

I don't know if this is the behavior of TiVo Roamio/Bolts with all size drives, only larger drives, or only larger drives modified with MFSR, but that is how they behave. It is possible the TiVo software doesn't understand the workarounds MFSR had to do to support larger drives with the limited hard to alter partition tables when you swap drives to different units.

On my older S3 OLEDs I could swap drives and the shows would still be visible.

9. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Tivos are designed to prevent copying shows by swapping drives from 1 Tivo to another. The shows are encrypted to the specific Tivo box that originally recorded it. To use the drive in a different Tivo, Clear & Delete Everything must be done or you get Error 51. Plus, this Tivo will not record either.

Mikeguy likes this.
  10. tvuncorkvet

tvuncorkvet New Member

Aug 18, 2015

11. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Hi, remember I tried that with a Premiere, swapped in a drive from another Premiere. It worked, no hardware errors, TSN correct (after connecting to Tivo service, until then it showed the TSN from the swapped in drive), kept all settings (from the swapped in drive), Amazon and Hulu accounts intact, recorded fine. I could also transfer shows from my other Tivos to it. BUT guess what. The first time it rebooted it wiped all the recordings (as sfhub mentioned.) No errors or anything, other than the recordings all info from the swapped in drive was still intact. For fun tried doing a few more recordings and transfers from other Tivos then rebooted, it deleted the recordings every time but no error messages and settings intact. Everything stays until you reboot, then just the recordings go away. So bottom line, yes, you DO have to clear and delete everything. After I did that recordings stay after a reboot (settings etc from swapped in drive gone). Still strange how I was able to swap in another drive with no errors and settings off the swapped in drive intact in the first place though. In the past whenever I swapped drives between Tivos I ALWAYS got an error message (the S1 you mention?) and had to clear and delete everything right away to use the Tivo/record etc.

12. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I think you would get the error when you try to play those shows.