1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo roamio ota all lights blinking

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Pchan87, May 5, 2018.

1. May 5, 2018 #1 of 16
    Pchan87

Pchan87 New Member

May 5, 2018
    The tivo turns on like normal with the welcome start up screen, then all lights on the front of the TiVo start flashing together (Red, blue, orange, green) and the welcome screen doesnt advance. The fan is on, I replaced the hard drive with a green power hard drive that had been working fine for over a year.

Any idea what needs to be fixed, i read power supply failures but with the top open i tried to look for a replacement board on weaknees but none of the boards look like what I'm seeing in my unit. I bought a red wd hd to try out but that comes in on Monday.

Thanks for any help. 546822481.jpg

2. May 5, 2018 #2 of 16
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Sounds like a hard drive failure to me. What model and size drive and have you tried testing it in a PC?

The power supply on the Roamio OTA/Basic and Bolt models are wall warts (external). Only the Roamio Plus/Pro with the more traditional larger case have internal supplies.

Scott

3. May 5, 2018 #3 of 16
    Pchan87

Pchan87 New Member

May 5, 2018
    I see. I plan to test it tonight. Thank you for that information about the external power supply that makes things easier. Wd20eurs 2 tb

4. May 5, 2018 #4 of 16
    Pchan87

Pchan87 New Member

May 5, 2018
    Strangest thing, took the cable card out. Tried to put it in diagnostic mode (failed to get to hard drive testing screen) and it actually loaded to the regular screen. Placed the card back in. Wanted me to test the channels but I have to leave the house. Will update in a bit.

5. May 5, 2018 #5 of 16
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The WS20EURS/X had an issue with Power Up In Standby (PUIS) which prevented bootups

Pchan87 likes this.
  6. May 5, 2018 #6 of 16
    Pchan87

Pchan87 New Member

May 5, 2018
    Anyway to remedy that and keep the current drive? It was working 100% then I unplugged it to put the cover back on and of course the 4 lights started blinking again.

7. May 5, 2018 #7 of 16
    Pchan87

Pchan87 New Member

May 5, 2018
    Ok so because you stated there was an issue with it during power up, I unplugged the cable connecting the drive to the board. I then plugged the power adapter into the TiVo, turned it in and then reconnected the hd in hopes of kick starting the drive up. Well it worked and works fine for now. Is the simplest solution to just replace the hdrive then?

8. May 6, 2018 #8 of 16
    Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    I'd guess the wall wart is getting bad - you have to remember those things are made stupidly cheap in general - it can't provide the burst of power needed to run the hard drive and start up the TiVo, so when you plugged in the drive afterwards, you evened out the power.

Yes, some companies use good quality wall warts, but most in general are crap and made to the lowest price but still meeting safety regulations (hopefully - some are pretty scary).

Of course, because wall warts are stupidly cheap, they are stupidly cheap to replace - you need one with the same voltage, preferably regulated, and has an amp rating equal or greater to the old one.

9. May 6, 2018 #9 of 16
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    As Worf indicated, that could be a sign of a weak power supply as well so you could try a replacement wall wart. Some of the early Roamio Basic drive upgraders were upgrading their wall warts to 2.5A ones I believe from the original 2.0A ones (swapping with their Tuner Adapters if I recall correctly in some cases).

Scott

10. Pchan87

Pchan87 New Member

May 5, 2018
    So I replaced the hard drive and same thing happened, so wall wart thats just the external power supply going to the wall , just need to find another one right?

11. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    How old is the OTA? If its still new (within a month), try returning it. (with the original drive)

It may sound like a MB failure.

12. Pchan87

Pchan87 New Member

May 5, 2018
    It's about 4 yrs old, 3 months out of warranty. So it was the power supply, I actually had a mini I just unboxed and used the power supply onto the roamio and it fired right up. Son of a gun. The original is 1.5 amps. The mini is 1.0 amps and it still fired up

13. Pchan87

Pchan87 New Member

May 5, 2018
    I appreciate all the help guys, ill go purchase another wall wart! Now we know all 4 flashing lights = failed power supply; I hope this helps others in the future

14. TeamPace

TeamPace Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Ohio
    I purchased the wall wart that is for the Bolt and use it on my Roamio. After I put in a 3 TB drive it need the extra amperage. They are only like a dollar different in price.

Mikeguy likes this.
  15. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    They're interchangeable without issue? If so, good to know.

16. TeamPace

TeamPace Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Ohio
    I've been using one on my Roamio for about a year now with no problems. If I recall they are the same voltage output but the Bolt can provide a little more amperage if needed. The connector is the same.

Mikeguy likes this.