TiVo Roamio OTA $200 Thanksgiving Whiteout sale

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by 1stLink, Dec 1, 2016.

1. 1stLink

1stLink New Member

May 24, 2016
    Naples,...

Advertisements

This deal looks great to me. I have a Bolt that service will expire on in a few months so I ordered the
    TiVo Roamio OTA at the $200 Thanksgiving Whiteout sale price rather than pay $150 annually for service on the Bolt.
    My question is will I need to add a Tivo Bridge(or similar device) to the Roamio to power my MoCA network? I believe that the Bolt has that function built in. I'm not very techie, it was a challenge getting the Bolt, Tivo Mini, OTA antenna, and Comcast internet service up and running.
    Thanks in advance for any help...

2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Yes--the Roamio OTA does not have a MoCA adapter built in, and so you will need to use an adapter. And I now turn matters over to the experts, who can provide you with competent tech. assistance from here. Alternatively, there are a bunch of threads on this topic--you might try searching in this sub-forum.

3. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I am that technical either but I was able to get a MoCA network up and running. I used the Actiontec ECB2500C for my MoCA network and it is simple to do.

4. 1stLink

1stLink New Member

May 24, 2016
    Naples,...
    Thanks for the confirmation.. I'll do some more reading and get a MoCA box for the Roamio.. :)

5. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005

Advertisements

If you have any question, just start a thread here. Recommended to use a thread title noting what you want to do/are asking about (my fear is that the MoCA/connection experts here may miss this thread, given its title). I've seen the experts here get to the level of posting detailed schematics for multi-room, complex setups and providing advice on schematics provided by others. You should be able to find some of those threads, for comparison to what you want to do.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If you're strictly looking for a MoCA adapter to create a MoCA network for your Mini, know that the Mini is MoCA version 1.1, so a MoCA 1.1 adapter will suffice. And the Roamio OTA's Ethernet port is Fast Ethernet, so even a MoCA 1.1 or MoCA 2.0 adapter with a Gigabit Ethernet port wouldn't be of much value since the OTA's Ethernet port bottlenecks the throughput to 100 Mbps.

That said, current retail pricing doesn't provide much in the way of savings on the older spec. (see MoCA shopping list) The Verizon MI-424WR Rev.I router purchased off eBay and reconfigured as a MoCA bridge is a route some are taking to undercut retail prices.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    FYI... An AVSforum user is willing to part with an Actiontec ECB2200 MoCA 1.1 adapter for $20, or maybe less. See this post on AVSforum. (YMMV, buyer beware, etc.)