1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TIVO Roamio - network speed issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by danxmanly, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Jun 6, 2018 #1 of 31
    danxmanly

danxmanly Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Dallas
    6 tuner roamio ( updated but no hydra ) connected to Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 router via ethernet cable, and 3 mini's hooked up via MOCA. ( POE filters in place ) All work flawlessly in terms of watching TV and recorded shows. However, when it comes to netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc... I have issues related to sporadic connectivity speeds on all streaming apps.

When it's working, netflix speed test on main box will typically read 40 Mbps+.. may work for hours, or days with no issues.. then BAM..... falls to basically nothing... like 0.03 Mbps and nothing plays. TIVO still can connect to download guide service.. albeit slowly.. netflix still says connection ok.. but it's just to slow to watch anything and Prime and HBO won't connect at all.

No amount of rebooting of tivo box/minis, routers, Spectrum modem, will clear the issue. What I found does, is to physically replace the ethernet cable from the Roamio to router, with one of a different length, run test again and 99% of the time the problem goes away. I can then plug back in the original cable and it will work... but if I simply just unplug / replug in the same cable without a different cable first.. it will not work. I can also switch to wireless connection when I'm having issues with ethernet cable connection and it will work. ( can't keep it that way due to MOCA required for my minis' )

Everything else on my network works... speed test reaches up to 380Mbps on a direct hardwired computer into the same router when the issue is happening on Tivo. Static IP addresses are assigned in tivo and reserved in my router. I've tried a different netgear router, using switches to isolate the tivo.. you name it but to no avail.

I have searched these threads and found similar issues with network speeds.. but nothing that seems to directly relate to my issue and the fix of plugging in different cables. Does the resistance of the cable length somehow trigger the tivo box to communicate back to router to reconnect???

Tivo tech support had me do the basic unplug and wait dance a few times but had no real clue as to what is really going on.

Don't want to send my box to tivo to look at repair / replacing as I really think it's some kind of issue I can resolve eventually through some settings on tivo, router, ??? with the help of this community. Plus I have a 6tb drive I dont' want to lose my recordings on.

Rant over.. ;-) Open to whatever at this time before the wife makes me turn all my tivo hardware into boat anchors.

2. Jun 6, 2018 #2 of 31
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I would disable QoS. It has been buggy in the past. Also, I'm still using v1.0.3.36 software since I don't like the new UI. So I can't test your failure. I have 13 or so devices on my R8000.

It was really bad on the R7500. A reboot would make it go away for a few days.

Also, check the log file. Maybe there is something helpful in it.

3. Jun 6, 2018 #3 of 31
    danxmanly

danxmanly Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Dallas
    Thanks for chiming in... QoS is disabled....

Logfile attached from this morning.. shows memory leaks.

Attached Files:

4. Jun 6, 2018 #4 of 31
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I meant the router's log file.

I have three basic Roamio units, a Premiere and Mini connected. A Mini would show bandwidth problems. I pay for 75mbps/7mbps and receive it 24/7. I get 93Mbps between my Roamio units. I don't have a program I can run to test the internet speed on my TiVo units.

5. Jun 6, 2018 #5 of 31
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Since QoS has been ruled-out, my second suggestion would be to check the Netgear router for an “IGMP Snooping” or “IGMP Proxy” setting. Having this enabled has been problematic for some TiVo setups.

Info related to "IGMP Snooping" issues...

Please review the following thread for a very recent case where this appears to have been the issue, and how it was resolved: Epic Failure

Your symptoms are different, obviously, but I’d make this my starting point.

6. Jun 6, 2018 #6 of 31
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Does the problem resume if you leave this alternate Ethernet cable connected?

7. Jun 6, 2018 #7 of 31
    danxmanly

danxmanly Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Dallas
    Yes, the problem will come back, then I simply unplug, switch out cables, and as I mentioned 99% of the time it fixes itself immediately. Occasionally, it may take a few cable swaps.. but it's pretty darn repeatable. Then once the connection is back up with the new cable, I can put the old cable back in and it works. I've cleaned the contacts on the ethernet port on the back of the tivo box as well in case that was the culprit... they are all bright and shinny... that had no effect on my issue.

Will research the info provided in your previous post pertaining to IGMP. Again, I have no issues whatsoever with MOCA connectivity when watching TV or My Shows. Only streaming stuff.

8. Jun 6, 2018 #8 of 31
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Right, all your TiVo-to-TiVo streaming would be via the MoCA network, and so unaffected by what seems to be an Ethernet issue. That’s why I said your symptoms are different than other examples, but the timing associated with your Ethernet bottlenecks echoes the IGMP Snooping symptoms. It may not help at all, but easy enough to find out. (Just be sure to do the full power reset, as described in the linked thread, after tweaking the setting.)

9. Jun 6, 2018 #9 of 31
    danxmanly

danxmanly Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Dallas
    After reading that thread I sure thought that would be it... but going into the router I see where it was disabled already. Just started glancing through my router logs and I do see where some mac addresses were denied access due to incorrect security. But didn't match my tivo. I will dig deeper into the logs and see if something else may pop up.

Although no solution yet.. I appreciate everyone glancing at this and recommending a couple of things to try out I haven't considered. In many instances a solution comes from combining multiple recommendations... so keep em' coming! :)

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Is the Roamio Pro directly connected to the router or via a switch?

11. Voting

Voting New Member

Jun 3, 2018
    How much internet bandwidth do you have from your provider? Do you have any other high bandwidth users in your house - such as kids watching YouTube?

12. danxmanly

danxmanly Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Dallas
    I've had it hooked directly to the Nighhawk X6 router, then I tried a switch to isolate, then I purchased a less expensive Netgear N300 router earlier this week just to try. In using the N300 I have it plugged in a port of the X6, and have the 300 set up to just distribute enough IP addresses to handle Tivos ( assigned static IP addys ) and a extra few just to be able to log in with a computer. It dropped speed within a few hours of doing that... however... since I have done a complete power cycle of every component in the loop, my speeds have been rock solid for 2 days which is longer than it has gone in awhile. But I never seem to get over about 4 days max before the issue occurs again so the jury is still out as if I'm on to something here.

13. danxmanly

danxmanly Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Dallas
    I have 400 Mbps package from Spectrum, and I am the 50+ year old kid watching youtube or gaming. ;-) Also, I have done a speed test on my computer hardwired to same router when the Tivo is experiencing slow internet speeds and see no degradation in its connection.

14. Voting

Voting New Member

Jun 3, 2018
    To make sure I understand - you have tested internet (not intranet) web speeds while the performance hit is happening?

Let me give you an example. My network speed would go to glacially slow. All things that went to the internet (gaming, Netflix, etc) would all be slow. I could see on the router that one pc (which was idle) was consuming almost 100% of the bandwidth. Upon investigation, the Amazon Prime Photos were doing intermittent backups and had no governor so it sucked my whole network while it ran its process. I was just looking for something like that.

15. danxmanly

danxmanly Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Dallas
    Yep... internet is still blazing fast on everything but TIVO apps during my issues. And my issue will NEVER fix itself, unless I physically unplug / plug the ethernet cable from TIVO to Router.. which seems to reset something.. somehow.. someway. No power cycles of all my devices in the loop fix it.

16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If it wasn't for the Mini units I would suggest using the internal wireless. But feeding a Mini has been a failure for me when using the built-in wireless.

17. danxmanly

danxmanly Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Dallas
    Yep.. no wireless for me since I need MOCA. Sure wish TIVO would allow the box to do both. Anytime I have the wired issue, I can go to wireless and immediately get my speeds back. Not sure if I would eventually run into the same issue or not with wireless.

18. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That begs to ask. If you get speeds back when going to wireless, do they stay good when switching back? On my Roamio, the act of unplugging Ethernet causes immediate wireless. Plug in the Ethernet and it becomes the boss.

19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    As an aside, it doesn't solve your issue but a workaround could be to use a standalone MoCA adapter as your MoCA bridge, and just configure the Roamio Pro as a MoCA client, disconnecting its Ethernet port.

p.s. Some MoCA adapter options can be seen >here<; the WCB3000N is just $17 via Amazon.

danxmanly likes this.
  20. danxmanly

danxmanly Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Dallas
    Thought about that before... but was concerned if there was something still awry with the router that was causing the issue.. I'd be throwing good money away. Question... if I did try that route, does that external MoCA device serve up the IP addresses to the Tivo Roamio and minis.. or does it pass through what the router would issue through DHCP?