Tivo Roamio / minis sluggish

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by marhil, Jun 15, 2018.

1. marhil

marhil New Member

Oct 14, 2015

Advertisements

I have a Tivo Roamio and several minis. About a month ago I started having problems with the Roamio and minis being sluggish at times. By this I mean sometimes when I go to change the channel I get a message "Go back to home" or lost connection. Sometimes the guide is very slow to populate and changing channels is slow. Occasionally get the spinning blue circle. Never had any of these issues until about a month ago. I'm on Hydra and have Verizon FiOS with a 75 meg. Internet service. I've rebooted the the Roamio and minis several times but the problem still exists. Problem does not happen all the time. Any ideas what the problem could be ? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I would suggest rebooting the entire network, not just the Tivos themselves. Are you moca, ethernet, or wifi?

3. marhil

marhil New Member

Oct 14, 2015
    The minis are connected by moca to the Roamio. By rebooting the entire network do you mean rebooting the router as well ? Just remembered that my Verizon FiOS internet speed was increased from 50 meg. to 75 meg. about a month ago. Seems the sluggishness started around the same time.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    A full power reset of all gear would eliminate any grey areas. See the following post for details:
    (A full power reset, as described, has been known to fix troublesome network issues, but I'm not convinced it'll solve your problems. It should be a starting point, nevertheless.)

5. marhil

marhil New Member

Oct 14, 2015

Advertisements

Thank you. I will try that when I get home later today. Good first step. Don't think I did a router reboot after Verizon increased the Internet speed to 75 meg.

6. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    Same here, a Roamio and several Minis. Yesterday I had two instances of the Roamio essentially refusing to do anything. Sometimes I'd get a spinning circle, sometimes not. The first instance, after about ten minutes, I power cycled the Roamio (pulled the plug, since Restart didn't work either).

When it happened again a few hours later, I finally managed to get a recording to play...so we just waited it out. At the end of the half hour show the Roamio seemed normal again.

My guess is the Roamio was having problems talking to a server at TiVo HQ.

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    This morning the servers were down until about 8am. I first saw a failed connection, then it failed the internet diagnostic. I gave it an hour and it was fixed. TiVo Online was also bad. I was able to see the same problem on another TiVo, so I knew it wasn't me. There's a lot of moving pieces between me and TiVo.

krkaufman likes this.
  8. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    My Roamio, again today, became unresponsive. Symptoms similar to yesterday: no guide, My Shows won't come up, can't change channels. Sometimes a spinning circle, sometimes not.

I pulled its ethernet connection. Within 30 seconds the guide was back, My Shows is back. I can change channels. I waited about another 30 seconds and plugged the ethernet cable back in. Things continue to work normally. This was all about three hours ago, and things continue to work normally.

More evidence, I guess, that this problem is indicative of an issue at TiVo HQ.

9. Furmaniac

Furmaniac Active Member

Apr 3, 2018
    I had an issue with my Roamio today too. If I go too fast with the keys, it reboots. Then I couldn't get my wishlist sceen and I got an error message. I had to unplug the Roamio and and restart it to get it working right.
    I think it's the Hydra software which was really more designed for the Bolt.

10. Sparky19053

Sparky19053 New Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Lower Bucks PA
    I was having the same issues, slow to respond spinning circles and the C-501 error. Did the power down and so far so good.

11. marhil

marhil New Member

Oct 14, 2015
    I did the complete restart, i.e. unplugging router, rebooting Roamios, minis etc. on Friday when I got home from work. Seems to have fixed the problem with the sluggish responses to Tivo commands. Tivos and minis much more responsive to commands after the complete restart on Friday night. If your Tivo devices are sluggish, try the steps below. Worked for me.

To do a full power reset, power down all your gear (modem, router, network switches, MoCA adapters, TiVo devices), and leave it all off for a minute or three; and then power the devices back on, in the order above, allowing each device to come online before proceeding to the next.

12. marhil

marhil New Member

Oct 14, 2015
    I did the full power reset as you described and it fixed the problem. THANK YOU !!!

CloudAtlas and krkaufman like this.