Tivo Roamio keeps switching to letterbox for all video

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by coolpal, Mar 15, 2017.

1. coolpal

coolpal New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Today, I noticed that my Roamio Plus which was working well until now suddenly started showing video only in letterbox format. This is for live (HD) channels and recorded HD videos. The zoom button has no impact at all.

When I try getting into SD version of settings menu etc., it resets to proper full aspect ration and switches back to letterbox at random. I have seen same video playing in full screen for a minute and the moment I clicked tivo menu, everything goes back to letterbox and pressing live tv and doing anything doesn't seem to fix it.

Anyone facing this issue? or have a clue on what I could do to fix it?

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Are you certain that it's the TiVo doing it and not your TV?

3. coolpal

coolpal New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    yes, when i switch input to roku, it shows fine. Even while on tivo mode, the receiver's OSD menu shows in full screen.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Aspect ratios on TVs are often different by source. I would switch the inputs of the tivo and roku and try a different cable.

5. coolpal

coolpal New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    the way it is setup (and has been for over 3 years now) is that all sources are connected to my av receiver (currently a denon avr-x3300w) and one hdmi cable thru wall to the tv. So all sources are fed to tv via same hdmi cable/input. The TV is a samsung 7 series model from 2013.

After your suggestion, I forced the TV aspect ratio to 4:3 and back to 16:9 and that fixed the issue (at least the for time being). This is weird but glad its resolved now.

6. nfrhtp

nfrhtp New Member

Apr 23, 2007
    coolpal, has the aspect ratio continued to stay put?

This week we have started experiencing the same issue (playing a recording and finding yourself in the wrong aspect ratio), after many years of never having to think about it.

This is on a Premiere XL. Seems to me the only variable that could have changed would be a TiVo update. Or a new flakiness in a previously problem-free TV (LG 47LK520).

7. JackStraw

JackStraw Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Wow, I just found this thread after posting my own. So this happening to other TiVo owners. What is going on. This has to be a software issue.