Tivo Roamio frozen at startup, unable to boot up now

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Bytez, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Bytez

Bytez Member

Sep 11, 2004
    NYC

Advertisements

So, I bought my Tivo Roamio with the 3-year extended warranty for $39.99 and lifetime service directly from Tivo back in May of 2014. Tonight, it started making loud grinding noises for almost a minute, responding very slowly to the remote. After a short while, it rebooted by itself and has been stuck on the startup screen for almost half an hour now.

I suspect that the hard drive is broken after almost 4 years in service. Does the extended warranty expire on May of this year? I'm thinking on whether I should replace the hard drive or send it back for warranty. Anyone sent it back and how was the experience? I wonder if they will send a refurbished unit or an upgraded Bolt if they are out of stock on the older models. Is installing a hard drive easy? Which brand, type, and model do you suggest? Please share your thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I am sure the warranty is with a third party and not with Tivo. Tivo will only replace with a current refurbished model for a price, out of warranty. (as much as $199 approx.)

It is very easy to simply replace the internal hard drive. Recommended drive is the WD Red series, WD10EFRX, WD20EFRX, WD30EFRX, etc. Up to 3 TB can be used and you do not even need to hook it up to the computer. Up to 8 TB if its hooked up to the PC/Windows program called MSFR, following instructions elsewhere on this forum in the MSFR thread.

My experience is 4TB in the basic 4 tuner Roamio. Runs very quiet with the WD40EFRX, nearly 3 years running.

With Roamio, the software is not on the drive so no image is needed.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  3. Bytez

Bytez Member

Sep 11, 2004
    NYC
    The certificate of coverage for the extended warranty states that the expiration date is in May 2017. I thought it would add 3 years on top of the standard 1-year limited warranty.

Now, I will have to replace the hard drive. Thank goodness Amazon has same day delivery.