TiVo Roamio dead?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Hauss, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Hauss

Hauss New Member

Apr 2, 2015

Advertisements

Just updated my TiVo Roamio plus since I’m coming back from directv for 2 years. Ran the updates and let the unit settle. I tried to connect via the app but was unsuccessful. When I came home from work, 8 hours later, I came back to a none responsive unit.

I tried to power cycle but now it doesn’t even boot up. No lights on the front or anything. I see both network lights working, not plugged in, and the fan is blowing.

Any ideas or is it dead?

2. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Any lights come on when you power cycle it or is it completely dark save for the network lights.

3. Hauss

Hauss New Member

Apr 2, 2015
    No lights on front. I’ve let it sit for awhile and left it unplugged for some time without success.

4. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Are you saying it was working, you went to work and now it's not working? Updated what? TE3 to TE4 or do you mean set up?

Unit history? New used etc?

5. Hauss

Hauss New Member

Apr 2, 2015

Advertisements

It was bought new when it was released. It was originally on the first version of TE4 when it was released. I stopped using it just after I installed TE4. I just turned it on to update it before the cable install and it was running fine. Had old recordings and it pulled data to update. It updated and still worked. I left for work and came back to the black screen.

6. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    If out of warranty I would open the cover and reseat the hard drive and check all other internal and external connections.

7. wisehammer

wisehammer New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Same problem with a refurbished unit, which was sent two months ago to replace my 1.5 year old Bolt that failed. At least they let me keep my subscription, but I'm kinda done with TiVo. It was a good 12 year run (three Lifetime subscriptions), but the streaming on the Bolt was always iffy, and I find the new interface annoying. So, to reseat the hard drive do you unplug the flat cable (I've never looked inside, so don't know what it looks like)? Or is it directly attached with no cable? Thanks,

8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    OTA_Drive.JPG

It is not easy to pull the cable off, but just pushing on it will be sure it's seated fully.

9. Hauss

Hauss New Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Tried all advice but ended up with a dead unit. Luckily TiVo is sending me a replacement for $50.

Mikeguy and skypros like this.
  10. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    But then you have the hassle of sending the old Roamio back to them. You could have just replaced the hard drive for $50 and not had to return anything.

11. Hauss

Hauss New Member

Apr 2, 2015
    I tried another hard drive but it still wouldn’t boot up.