TiVo Roamio cooling | your creative ideas

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by gadgetzilla, Sep 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. gadgetzilla

gadgetzilla New Member

Apr 6, 2015

Advertisements

Happy Friday TiVo fans :)

In reading over the previously posted threads, there are discussions (with links to youtube videos) that relate to replacing the built in fan in the Roamio.

What I am proposing is to have this as a master thread to post all ideas/pictures of how creatively you are cooling the TiVo Roamio. Some (like me) put a laptop chiller pad beneath the roamio and also remove the plastic that covers the cable card for improved circulation within the TiVo. I've been also thinking of removing the roamio cover drilling holes above the hard drive as well as the heatsink area of the motherboard then put a couple of 5VDC USB fans. Has anyone done anything similar.

Heat is one of the primary reasons of electronics failing. Looking forward to reading how YOU are cooling your roamio?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I am cooling my Stream, Roamio (3 basic), modem and all with different methods. Easy way:
    Fan on Side.JPG

That give me about 5C drop on a 3TB basic. I have a 3TB with the case half off that has a MBT of 23C to 25C. I need more pictures.

gadgetzilla and Teeps like this.
  3. jonw747

jonw747 Active Member

Aug 2, 2015
    I'm not cooling my Roamio Pro directly, but I bought an AC Infinity controller and a couple of fans which I managed to shoehorn in to my Synergy Salamander to keep all my equipment cooler.

gadgetzilla likes this.
  4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  5. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL

Advertisements

The multiple Plus boxes I've had have no heat issues with the stock fan, so I don't see the need here.

gadgetzilla and Mikeguy like this.
  6. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Cheapest laptop cooling pad i could find on Amazon.
    Got 3 of them for 3 of my 4 TiVo's when the fans got too noisy (replaced 2 of the fans first, then they also got noisy)
    Daughter has the 4th one, and the fan hasn't gotten noisy enough to warrant unplugging it and putting on a laptop chiller.

7. Intheswamp

Intheswamp South Alabama

Nov 14, 2017
    Hmmm, we're getting close to having our Roamio OTA for two years now but I've never checked the temperature nor had an issue with fan noise. But...I'm about deaf as a piece of lighterwood.

What's a acceptable temperature range for it to be at?

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    MBT of 37C to 40C in a 74F room would be normal. Ambient temperature affects the temperature directly.

Intheswamp likes this.
  9. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    As a general matter, the temp. and fan on Roamio boxes hasn't been a major concern. It's more with the Bolt boxes that a concern has been raised.

A quick assist for Roamio (and other) boxes: water bottle bottle caps (or similar) under the box's 4 corners--they just raise the box up a bit, to increase the space for air flow. On my Bolt box, this lowered the temp. by 3-4 degrees, if I remember correctly.

Intheswamp likes this.
  10. Intheswamp

Intheswamp South Alabama

Nov 14, 2017
    Thanks for the temperature feedback and using the bottle caps to lift the box up. The bottle caps might be a bit tricky for me getting them in place (I'm not real coordinated<g>)...but a couple of 1x1 strips of wood might do the trick!!!

11. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Also, a bit more manageable for some than water bottle caps: milk or juice container caps, being larger.

12. josim

josim Member

May 21, 2016
    South Carolina
    I used some silicone sealant to glue bottle caps to an old router and 1 x 1's under a laptop. Both methods helped with heat.

13. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Prescription bottle tops are my choice for cooling electronics. They are roughly a half inch tall and nice and wide. Laptops and Tivos are happy.

Mikeguy likes this.
  14. Intheswamp

Intheswamp South Alabama

Nov 14, 2017
    Hmmm, I finally looked and found the temperature showing as 43. The Roamio sits in a glass-fronted cabinet in which I've drilled large holes in the rear panel. I found some "shock absorber" pads that I used beneath a turntable years ago and have raised the unit up by a good inch, probably closer to 1.25". I'll let this ride for a day or so and check the temperature again to see where it's at. I might have to figure out how to hook a fan up to ventilate the cabinet. But, the Roamio has been running like this for close to two years now. o_O

15. Intheswamp

Intheswamp South Alabama

Nov 14, 2017
    Just checked and the Roamio OTA was sitting at 40c. So an overall drop of 3c from yesterday. Ambient temperature is 73F/23c. I failed to check the ambient yesterday. I'll continue to monitor the temperature for a few days. When I when I went to put the pads beneath the unit I was really surprised at how low the Roamio sits...very close to the shelf leaving a very small area for ventilation. I know some of you are probably reading this and figuring your Tivo ??? unit is working fine but if it sits as low as the Roamio OTA does it can't help but to improve life-expectancy for the Tivo, if nothing else. It really is cramped quarters underneath. FWIW.

Thanks everybody for the info!!!
    Ed

16. Intheswamp

Intheswamp South Alabama

Nov 14, 2017
    I was looking at some orange juice containers last night that had some big 1-1/2"(?) caps on them...those would be nice. Spray paint'em black (or black sharpie for a quick fix) and everybody'll think you've been shopping at Tiffany's for home-theater equipment. :D

17. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Flat black is almost invisible.

18. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    See post 2 for a simple fan application. That's one 120mm AC Infinity on low, powered by the USB port. I don't look at it as cooling as much as getting rid of the heat. The vents are on the sides, with a tiny fan blowing air out the right. This picture shows the fan on the left. The hard drive is farther right.
    OTA_Inside.JPG

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  19. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    And clear-ish bottle caps are almost see-through. :)

Isn't it kinda funny, so much attention on bottle caps? :p

20. Intheswamp

Intheswamp South Alabama

Nov 14, 2017
    @Mikeguy , I guess it's only natural to be talking about bottle caps...I've seen a lot of'em through the years...mostly metal crown caps, though. :rolleyes: