TiVo Roamio and Premiere with Charter cable, tuning adapter

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by TitanTiger, Aug 28, 2016.

1. TitanTiger

TitanTiger Member

May 5, 2009
    A couple of years ago, we tried to switch to Charter cable in our area from WOW because Charter had better internet speeds and some incredible pricing deals. It was a mess. They made 4 visits and countless phone calls and never could get the tuning adapters (they tried multiple TAs and CableCards over the course of several days) to work properly. They even talked to TiVo on the phone and couldn't get it working. If the TA was plugging in and on, we got some channels but not others. If we unplugged it, a different set of channels were viewable but not most of the ones before. We ended up going back to WOW as they don't use SDV and everything with the TiVo works fine.

I was wondering if anyone here could give me a 'no fail' guide on how to get a provider (especially Charter) with the tuning adapter and switched digital video to work right with the TiVo so all channels work and are viewable that comes with the package. How did you overcome this? Exactly what needs to be told to the technician and people on the phone? What is the common snag that happens with these?

I'd really like to jump on their latest offer. It would save me hundreds over the 3-year price lock-in, plus WOW has been unable to solve a problem where our internet drops out for a few minutes multiple times a day.

Thanks in advance!

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Unfortunately there is no magic bullet with Charter, only persistence. I suspect you misdiagnosed the tuning adapter issue the first time around. Whenever I had TA issues, it was because they had failed to add it to or inexplicably removed it from my account, which is easy for them to fix. If they had properly authorized the card, everything would have worked.

Having said that, they will eventually get it. Tens of thousands of us have gotten it to work. Personally, I've been though at least a dozen cable card activations with Charter. Some took 10 minutes, others 10 days, all depending on the competency of the person on the other end of the phone.

Good luck

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  4. Mover480

Mover480 Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Got a Premiere hooked up to Charter yesterday with the tuning adapter and M card. It was relatively painless.

5. Plamar

Plamar Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Central MA
    I have had Charter up and running on my Tivo Premiere and originally had a tuning adapter. I need up disconnecting the TA and it works the same without it...been 6 months with no issues A tech told me the Premiere does not need the TA. YMMV.

6. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    You must have a TA to get SDV channels. You simply don't watch or subscribe to any SDV channels, hence don't notice that they are missing.