Tivo reverts to old UI

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by warrensomebody, Jan 24, 2012.

1. warrensomebody

warrensomebody New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    A few days ago our Tivo Premiere updated to the new HD UI. I like that it's faster now... hate that Live TV PiP squackbox and wish I could turn it off.

Well, today I got my wish. After a show ended I returned to the menu system only to find that the display was complete scrambled -- just little irregular blue and white cubes that fluttered around -- completely unreadable. After fumbling around for a few minutes and getting nowhere, my only option was to reboot. After rebooting, I was greeted by a shiny new Series 3 UI. That's right, Series 3, not the original Premiere UI, nor the new HD one... the one that has never been on this box before. Sigh.

Suggestions?

2. Lars_J

Lars_J Member

Feb 1, 2005
  3. Scooter80

Scooter80 New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Yeah, I think you must mean the new SD UI. They updated the SDUI as well as the HDUI on the 20.2 update. The SDUI is pretty much all blue now, more streamlining to make the HDUI menu more seamless when it has to change to "settings" or other SD menus.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    On your other question, in the HD UI you can easily turn off the live tv window. I turn in on and off all the time. Hit the ||> button (right below pause).

5. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    He might be talking about in the guide. There you cannot turn it off.
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8918956

6. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
  7. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    If you don't like the guide you can hit select and use the mini guide. It works as before but is smaller.

8. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Oooh, that is a good catch!

9. warrensomebody

Aug 13, 2003
    Yeah, it's the SDUI. I didn't know you could change it, but that's great.

And as far as the Picture-in-Picture thing, I mean the Live Tv small window in the upper right corner while you're in the guide. I'll play around with your suggestions for turning it off if I re-enable the HDUI.

10. warrensomebody

Aug 13, 2003
    I got my HDUI working again. It turns out that somehow the video crash caused my video output format to get reset to 480p and the tv aspect ratio to get reset to 4:3 (weird because hd programs still filled the entire 16:9 screen). Anyway, when I tried to switch to the HDUI menus, it gave me a checklist that I could use to straighten things out.

So thanks for the tip about how to reset the HDUI menus. I didn't know that option was there. Also, thanks for the tip that the Slow button toggles the Live TV PiP. Who would have thought?

11. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    The "mini guide" is a mini grid guide, not a smaller version of the old transparent TiVo guide.

12. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I think you mean the TiVo Live Guide. Yes, they are different things.

13. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Yes, that's what I meant. Since the Grid Guide isn't identified as the "TIVo Grid Guide", I assumed everyone would know what I was talking about.

The point I was trying to make was that it was that the mini-guide is a grid style guide no matter which style full guide you are using.

14. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    You cannot turn it off, period. No playing needed.

15. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I'm not sure there is a need to turn it off for the guide display. This is simply the HDUI equivalent to the SDUI behavior.

16. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Some people simply do not want the distraction of any video/audio while using the guide. Even though it was that way before, doesn't mean there wasn't a need to remove it before, and now :)