TiVo restarts recording/buffering randomly

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mk553, Jun 2, 2019.

1. mk553

mk553 New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    The title isn't quite accurate, but it's the best I can describe my problem:

What's happening is that while watching a show, the TiVo acts like it does when changing a channel, while staying on the same channel: the picture goes black for about 2 seconds and the buffer restarts, displaying channel/current show info, as if I had just changed the channel.

My gut feeling is that it's a TiVo issue, but the cable did go out much earlier in the day for a little while during an outage. Is it possible that a signal being sent from the cable company could be causing what I'm experiencing?

Needless the say, the cable company says there's no signal degradation or issues on their side at this time, and to contact TiVo (they always say that). Thought I'd run this issue by the experts here to see if anyone else has ever experienced this. I've had TiVo since about 2000, and never have I ever experienced this random buffer restarting.

Tech notes: this is a TiVo Bolt 1TB (the white/curved kind), about 3 years old.

2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    By any chance, is that happening on the hour/half-hour, and is a recording starting at the time?

3. Brian McWhirter

Brian McWhirter New Member

Jun 3, 2019
    I'm having this exact same problem on both my Bolt and my XL4. The problem started when my Bolt received an update recently. In fact, the Bolt shut itself down due to an "overheat" condition. When I powered it back up, it went straight to doing an update. After that, I have had this intermittent problem where the screen goes blank with the channel info on the bottom and the buffer is lost. I'm restarting the Tivo box thru the Help menu and that fixes the problem for a while but it eventually comes back. Very frustrating...

mk553 likes this.
  4. mk553

mk553 New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    Thanks for asking -- no, it was doing this rather frequently at all times yesterday. After soft rebooting a few times, I eventually unplugged it and powered it back on, and then it seemed better after that (knock on wood).

I'm hoping that Brian's response is the same issue as mine, and that maybe it was just an upgrade issue that will be ironed out(?).

5. gersh49

gersh49 Active Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    This has been happening to my TE3 Roamio Pro for a week or two. Usually a restart gets it to stop misbehaving for about a day. Very frustrating, I also hope it's a Tivo issue that gets fixed by an update.