TiVo Restarts, No Pattern

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by david_arnold, Aug 7, 2007.

1. david_arnold

david_arnold New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Well, I've had this Series II TiVo box for almost one year. I've never had a problem with it until a couple of months ago. I will provide you with a step-by-step description of what happens (or what happened):

- I was watching a recorded program
    - The screen froze for about ten seconds, started playing for about two seconds, then I got my TV's blue screen "NO SIGNAL" (no lights on TiVo were on)
    - And then the TiVo restarted immediately (both "Powering Up" and "Almost There..." screens)

- Sometimes it stays on for two minutes, sometimes it stays on for two days, so there is no noticable pattern except...

This ALWAYS seems to happen every two weeks (which is how long the programming is for, right?). I know it's about to happen when I get the "You only have two days of programming left."

NOW, when I try to manually reconnect to the TiVo service (I tried both wireless USB and Phone), it makes it as far as "loading" and then restarts.

It's weird. For the last two days it has happened every ten minutes. ALL of my recordings are chopped up (like a two hour movie is recorded in seven parts!!) I have missed every show, which is why I bought this freakin' thing to begin with!

I don't know what the deal is. I've never had good luck with Customer Service people and why would they send me a new part, drive, or even a new box? It'll never happen. I am very disappointed. With all the competition from cable, you'd think they'd want to keep their customer base.

If anyone has some suggestions, please let me know. I can't even watch a whole show anymore because the TiVo doesn't stay on for more than five minutes.

I scanned the archives and found a few things, but nothing that looked exactly like my problem.

Thanks!

-DA

2. DouglasLive

DouglasLive New Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Same thing with my two Series IIs. Damn thing just rebooted itself again in the middle of watching a show. Gotta be a software glitch. Only thing is, how come we're the only two people talking about it??

3. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    My best guess is the hard drive has gone bad. You can certainly send it in to TiVo for repair, but I would suggest replacing the hard drive yourself. You can even greatly increase your disk space while you are at it.

4. ajayabb

ajayabb Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Moorestown NJ
    Couldn't this also be a power supply problem?

5. OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001
    Possible, but MUCH more likely it is a hard disk.

While I do not know the actual numbers I would guess it is better than 100 - 1 disks to power supplies.

6. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Could also be cooling, loose power cable or problem with the AC.

7. Lee Oakland

Lee Oakland New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    I had the same problem, starting on Saturday 8/5.

We ran the Tivo self check programs; replace the hard drives; replaced the power supply; installed a very old back-up OS from 2002; replaced the HD cable; replaced the HD power cable; connected the power cord directly to the wall rather than a power strip. Nothing helped.

I finally purchased an exchange unit earlier today.

I am now seeking to understand if we can install out recently copied disks (purchased Monday, two 250MB) into the exchange Series 2 DT model (our old Tivo was a ancient Series 2 single tuner).