Tivo restart issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Bosox3, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Bosox3

Bosox3 New Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Tonight while watching tv, the screen froze then restarted but when it came back, it got to the screen that says "just alittle longer"..the 2nd part of the restart. After being on that screen for less than a few minutes, the screen goes black and stays that way. Nothing happens.

does this sound like a HDD issue? anyway for me to just swap one out?

2. trade

trade Tivo Addict

Sep 1, 2005
    Fullerton, CA
    I have the same problem screen freeze and I need reboot to start working again, also the menus are unresponsive and restart by itself....

I waiting to get a fresh image to install a new hard drive....

TRADE

3. Bosox3

Bosox3 New Member

Apr 6, 2010
    since its prob dead..or on its way out.....is there a way I can remove some of the shows from the HDD.
    I tried to remove hdd and connect to my PC but doesn't seem to find the hdd once connected.

4. minimeh

minimeh Vanity Phrase Here

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    Look into TiVoToGo. You can use TiVo Desktop (there's a free version) or better yet, kmttg, which also is free, to download your shows. See the TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo for details and help.

5. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Not if it is dead.

If it is not dead or if the "freezer trick" works you could try to see if the hard disk upgrade process (see the other forum) will allow you to copy the drive. DO NOT simply try to hook it up to windows to see the drive, that could cause other problems.

If the drive appears dead, and you are out of warranty, you could also try the manufacturer's hard disk toolset- this may be able to correct problems long enough to copy.

Now, a little less likely, it could be your power supply gone bad. I suggest reviewing the sticky in the Help forum as well.

6. Bosox3

Bosox3 New Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Thanks for the info everyone.

As of right now, I'm using my mothers Tivo Premiere box, since she went to Uverse instead. Is there a way I can transfer or add my old hdd to this box?
    I know I can always open it up and swap out..but can I connect it via usb or esata?
    Just looking to move over a few shows for my daughter.

7. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    You can't swap out the hard drive and save any programs you may have recorded as you must do a clear and delete all after any hard drive swap, you could swap out the power supply but I doubt that your problem.