TiVo Reps, Xfinity on demand rollout timetable?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rick123, Jun 27, 2012.

1. rick123

rick123 Member

Dec 8, 2004

Advertisements

Would it be possible for a TiVo rep to comment on the approximate rollout timetable for "the rest of us"? I am apparently in a non-rollout area of southern NH 03087 surrounded by those with access. Since my town and a few others were left out I'm guessing our access is more difficult and we will be at the tail end...

So, when is the expected tail end of the rollout, that time when all Comcast customers will be enabled?

Thanks,

2. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Obviously not a TiVo rep, but it would be up to Comcast to announce it or at least give TiVo the go ahead.

3. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    The only official announcement was that it will be available in 15 of Comcast's major markets.

4. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    Why would Tivo know Comcast's plans?

5. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL

Advertisements

OP, you need to go over to Comcast's VOD forum and ask them.

6. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Do you know you are not in the service area because you don't have the app or were you told this by a Tivo rep? I had both a Tivo and a Comcast rep tell me I wasn't in the area even though I was and I had the app on my Tivo.

7. jakerock

jakerock Hey ho howdy!

Dec 9, 2002
    Lee, NH
    If you are in an area that gets VOD with a comcast cable box (is there any place that doesn't?) and in the general area where it has been released on TiVo it seems like you should be OK to go. I don't think that there is any special hardware or network requirement (I should say that as an engineer I can't think of any requirement that should be needed).

8. ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    IP backchannel and comcast's vod tivo app is all that should be needed.

9. jakerock

jakerock Hey ho howdy!

Dec 9, 2002
    Lee, NH
    That's what I thought. If it is enabled in places around a location, it is hard to believe that it wouldn't be for the entire area served by a specific Comcast entity.

10. rick123

rick123 Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Prior to Comcast taking over, those towns in southern NH that were previously serviced by adelphia seem to have been left out of the Boston rollout. I imagine it is some type compatibility issue...

11. ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    I think the cable boxes get on demand via Qam while Tivo is IP backchannel two different technologies.

12. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    More specifically, the content is delivered by QAM for both the set-top box and TiVo, but the cable box uses Docsis (cable data) for the back (control) channel, and TiVo uses an Internet connection (which need not be from Comcast). So while the content is sent the same way in both cases, the Comcast cable system has to be updated to accept control commands from the Internet.

13. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    I'm curious- are those areas that got left out using moto or cisco hardware for their leased boxes?

14. ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    shouldn't matter on leased boxes since it tivo with a cable card and isn't cable card just the encryption?

15. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    I'm wondering if the head end equipment matters. If they lease cisco then they likely have a cisco head end. If they lease moto then they likely have a moto head end. (likely = almost certainly?)

I have the impression (maybe wrongly so) that comcast is more moto then cisco at this point. So it makes me wonder if they only went through the effort to get their systems (software or whatever else is involved) updated for roll out on moto head ends only and not cisco.

Just all speculation on my part- but if they had to pay moto to update their headend software and that covers 80-90% of their headends- would they bother to pay cisco to update their minority of headends also? On the other hand - it could all be that the seachange people serve both cisco and moto and comcast just had to pay seachange to update their software and it will work on any headend that had comcast software.

16. bikegeek

bikegeek Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Amesbury, MA
    Same issue in Amesbury, MA. I used to be Adelphia and have no VOD.

17. johnh123

johnh123 Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Over there
    I wonder what the hold up is for further rollouts.

18. rick123

rick123 Member

Dec 8, 2004
    We have a non HD Scientific Atlanta box they said we had to take. We don't currently use it, but would have to if we wanted non HD VOD.

19. bikegeek

bikegeek Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Amesbury, MA
    Anyone in the southern NH former Adelphia territory seeing the Xfinity on Demand and is it working? I am in Amesbury, MA and I see it but get GSM-7 errors.

20. DPhillips

DPhillips New Member

Jun 15, 2010
    I'm in Windham NH, former Adelphia, SA/Cisco gear and it showed up the same time as MLBTV. I get GSM errors (think I've seen 7s and 2s) as well but haven't motivated to pursue a resolution. Tivo web page still states unavailable for my zip.