Tivo replacement

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jwolfera, Jul 29, 2007.

1. jwolfera

jwolfera New Member

Jan 6, 2006

Advertisements

Hey guys this is one of my first posts, but I have been reading for 2 years or so. Anyway, I had my Tivo replaced by Best Buy under my service plan. Now my Tivo was up graded and I took it out before I got it replaced. Now the question is can I just put that hdd in my new unit and have it work with out reblessing it? The unit I had before was a 40 hour and now I have a dual tuner 80 hour.

Thanks
    JR

2. jwolfera

jwolfera New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    I think that I have found my answer, but can someone confirm this. I was reading on the tivo upgrade site that the DT tivos can only have 1 hdd in them.

true or false?

JR

3. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Of course the DT TiVo can have a second drive installed. An after market bracket is required to hold the second drive. That's been the case with any S2 since the 240xxx models.

However, the Tivo software is model specific. The only time you can swap hard drives like yfrom one tivo to another is when both tivos are from the same model line. In that type of case though, the existing recordings and settings will be lost because a 'clear & delete everything' needs to be done to "marry" the drive to the new system.
    In your particular case, it seems as though you removed a second drive from one tivo and want to use it it in another tivo. That is never possible. You have to start over from the beginning.

4. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Yes you can put the Old HD into the New unit. BUT you will loose everything on that HD.

mick66 has given you the advise you need.

Now you could transfer over all your recordings etc from the old unit to the new one, if you have a Home Network and both Tivos are connected.

5. jwolfera

jwolfera New Member

Jan 6, 2006

Advertisements

The site that I used last time to upgrade my 40 hour, tivo upgrade-instructions doesn't have instructions on how to add a harddrive to an 80 dt unit. where could I find some instructions?

thanks for the info

JR

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
  7. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    It's exactly the same process.