TiVo Repair Service

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ScottN88, Sep 2, 2007.

1. ScottN88

ScottN88 New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    I have been a Weaknees customer over the past year. I had one TiVo upgraded with larger hard drives and bought a new series 3 with larger drives from Weaknees. I was very impressed by their service and timeliness.

Last month my upgraded series 2 Tivo exhibited problems (reboots, would not connect for service downloads). I was one month out of warranty from Weaknees, so I contacted them and asked what the service cost would be for repair. I was very explicit that I did not want to lose my data if possible.

They were quick with a response, but I was disappointed. They told me “try a 'clear and delete everything' from the system reset menu.” I responded saying I wanted to preserve my data not lose it. They responded saying “Yes, but if you send it to us, the chances of looking everything are excellent.”

My guess is “looking” meant “loosing”.

I wrote them a snail mail letter explaining what had happened and my disappointment with the e-mail responses. After 3 weeks of no response, I looked for another company.

I found DigitalRecorder in South Dakota and they were fantastic! I shipped my TiVo out on Monday and had it back on Thursday fully repaired. It was a power supply gone bad.

Had I followed the Weaknees advice, I would have lost over 150 hours of stored programs.

The moral of the story is just like with your health, get a second opinion.
    I have found a new TiVo support company with DigitalRecorder and will turn to them first for my TiVo needs.

2. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    and had you actually sent it to weaknees they would have found the same power supply problem and your data would still be there. The chances of losing your data did not change by going to another company.

note: I'm not being a weaknees fanboy, I've never paid weaknees for anything and never expect to.

BTW - nice spam. It almost looks like a legitimate post.

3. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    And if the Hard drive were bad you would have lost all your programs no matter who you sent it to, tel diagnosis of a TiVo is almost impossible as 90% of the time it is the hard drive, you were the one in 10 that it was not the hard drive.

4. ScottN88

ScottN88 New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Mic66 my post is not spam, this is a legitimate posting, if you would like to see the e-mail exchange with weaknees, send me a provide message and I will be happy to forward to you.

5. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    I think Weakness we just preparing you for the worst case scenario. It is probably better to say you will loose everything then have you loose nothing than to promise you nothing will be lost and have everything gone. Just my $00.02

6. jabez_reynolds

jabez_reynolds New Member

Dec 26, 2003
    Texas
    I also had DigitalRecorder fix my TiVo. They did a great job and kept to their word about fixing the unit with a not to exceed price.

BTW - I don't think informing other people of where they can get quality work done on their units is spam. I think it is useful information to the community. If someone had good customer service they deserve to get good comments just as much as providers with bad customer service deserve to get bad comments. If everyone did that we might actually have more service companies out there, of every type of service, actually trying to provide customer service. The good service has pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur which is horrible, at least for those of us that can actually remember the days when good customer service was something to strive for and be proud of.