Tivo Remotes IR / RF and Slide, Sonos Repeaters

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Speziak, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Speziak

Speziak New Member

Sep 2, 2017
    I have a new Tivo remote and want to use it in RF mode. My Tivo box is about 20' away and I have finally managed to pair it and it seems to be working ok. Questions:

1. Can I get some sort of signal extender to strengthen the RF signal to reach the Tivo more consistently?

2. My Sonos soundbar requires an IR signal (I think). Can I set the volume and mute keys ONLY to IR mode and use the rest of the remote keys in RF mode?

Thank you!
    Speziak

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The Tivo remote is only RF to the Tivo, but it will still send out IR when using power, vol, mute buttons. The light will still be yellow (RF) even though IR is projected. The remote can be switched to all IR and then the light would be Red.

Once the remote codes are programmed into on the remote and controls the TV and sound, use the sound device's code to set the TV code a 2nd time and power button would turn both on/off.

Mikeguy likes this.
  3. Speziak

Speziak New Member

Sep 2, 2017
    Thank you ThAbtO. I find that when I hit my volume button, 4 out of 5 times it will be yellow and I"ll occasionally get red, it is obviously only at that point that the volume controls my Sonos sound bar.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It will go red if the RF connection goes weak and has trouble getting to the Tivo after a few presses, this is only temporary.

5. Speziak

Speziak New Member

Sep 2, 2017
    Thank you! Do you know if there's such a thing as an RF extender?