TiVo Remotes and Video Switch

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Royster, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Royster

Royster Beardy

May 24, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I have a StarTech component video switch which has it's own remote. Any good suggestions on how I can program my TiVo remote(-s one slide remote for a Series 3 and one for a Priemere) to control the switch?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to hit Input four times and have it cycle between the four inputs, but I suspect that's not really an option.

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The input button (upper left, little button between the two big ones) on the peanut remote is designed to switch TELEVISION inputs, so the only solution I can think of is find a television remote code that's the same as the code for your StarTech. Which is probably unlikely, but maybe not impossible.

3. Royster

Royster Beardy

May 24, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    But the newer TiVo remotes are programmable. Is it just the single Input button I can program? I could, I suppose, program each remote to activate it's corresponding TiVo when I press the input button. The directions on the website seem to imply I can program the channel up/channel down buttons, but that's can't be right.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You'll need to consult someone who's budget runs to being able to afford to play with current model TiVos and their remotes.:)

5. Royster

Royster Beardy

May 24, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I programmed the input button on each TiVo remote to switch to that device's setting on the switcher. I'll have to keep the switcher remote around to do the other two devices -- cable box and DVD -- unless I can find a way to program them as well.

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You need a Glo remote which can learn. There really is no way to program non-glo remotes the way you want.

7. Royster

Royster Beardy

May 24, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I must have the right remotes, because it worked just fine. I have a slide for the S3 and whatever the Premiere came with.