TiVo Remote with Onkyo Receivers

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by JWadle, May 27, 2017.

1. JWadle

JWadle TiVo Fan

May 2, 2015
    Boulder CO

Advertisements

I'm using a TiVo Bolt with three Minis. The Bolt and one of the Minis are connected to Samsung TVs and Onkyo receivers. The problem I have is reliable on/off control of the Onkyos with the TiVo remote.

In each case I've programmed the TiVo remote to control power on both the Samsung TV and the attached Onkyo receiver using the appropriate codes for each. I did the programming by entering the Samsung code for power button first, and then separately entering the Onkyo code for the power button.

With this setup, the TVs always respond to on/off as requested. The receivers usually respond to on commands, but often don't respond to off commands on the first press. Typically, I need to press the TiVo power button several times to get the receiver to turn off, which often results in TV and receiver being out of sync.

I've also tried using a TiVo Slide remote which is programmable to enter the TV as device #1 and the Onkyo as device #2 for power on/off. The result is the same as using the standard peanut remote.

If I can find separate on and off codes for the Onkyos (instead of the on/off toggle code), is there any way to program a TiVO remote (Slide or Glo) with separate on and off codes for a device? Any other suggestions other than switching to a non-TiVo programmable remote. We like the TiVo remote due to its simplicity and special function buttons (a-d, skip, clear, etc.)?

2. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    My receiver starts missing on/off commands when the remote battery level drops below 60% even tho the tv and TiVo are still responding.

3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    We have an older Onkyo receiver (circa 2006) and I thought it only has separate on and off codes (the dedicated remote has an On and Standby button). We turn it on using the Input button on the TiVo remote as that code not only cycles through the inputs it also turns it on, but still have an old universal remote to turn it off.

I believe I read that someone here programmed both the on and off codes to the TiVo power button as it ignored the off code so soon after the on code (although it's possible that was for another brand receiver).

Scott

4. hytekjosh

hytekjosh Member

Dec 3, 2010
    I have an almost 10 year old Onkoyo receiver. Tivo remote uses RF for Tivo and IR for TV and Onkoyo. You need to make sure you are aiming the remote directly at the TV/receiver with no obstructions. I hold the power button for a couple seconds for it to register.

5. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...

Advertisements

I was going to say I don't have any problems with my TiVo remote controlling my Onkoyo receiver's power - but then I remembered that technically it isn't. It controls it's volume, but only the TV's power. However I set the receiver (through it's HDMI-CEC menu) to turn itself on when the TV turns on and off when the TV turns off.

(That does mean I have to find and use the receiver remote - or it's front panel - in the uncommon case where I want to listen to audio other than TV. But that'd be true even if both codes were programmed into the TiVo remote).

So this is a long-winded way of saying that maybe you can also sidestep this synchronization issue by letting the HDMI control take care of turning the receiver on and off - so it reliably stays in sync with the TV.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I had a newer Onkyo and had a similar issue. I almost always had to press power twice to get it to go off, and if I waited too long then the TV would come back on. I just swapped it out for a Pioneer system and it doesn't have that problem at all, so this is specific to the Onkyo.

7. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    As a former owner of an Onkyo I can tell you that it uses different codes for turning it on and off. The tivo remote can not handle that. I ended up just leaving the receiver on all the time and pressing the mute button to turn off the sound. With my new receiver I use the output of the TV to send the audio to the receiver. TV gets sound from HDMI and outputs over optical to receiver. I still leave the receiver on but by turning the TV off it also turns off the sound going to the receiver.

8. Jun 1, 2017 #8 of 14
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The newer ones have a toggle code and TiVo's built in code works just fine for it.

For the older ones there was a way to make it work if you had one of the learning remotes, like the Slide Pro. The learning remotes have 3 "slots" for each button. So what you would do was teach one slot the on/off code for the TV, then another one the on code for the Onkyo and the 3rd one the off code for the Onkyo. The Onkyo wont respond to on when it's on or off when it's off so it sees the other one and responds to that instead. I used that for a long time on my old, old, Onkyo and it worked as well as the toggle code does one the newer ones. However they both still had issues where they didn't always respond and could end up out of sync as I described above.

ClearToLand likes this.
  9. Jun 2, 2017 #9 of 14
    CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have a 2002 Onkyo TX SR600, and the TiVo Remote Onkyo code works fine for both On and Off (Standby) on mine. A agree the aim and distance have to be just right, and the battery level cannot drop below about 50-60% for it to work predictably.

I do not recall which Onkyo code I used.

10. JWadle

JWadle TiVo Fan

May 2, 2015
    Boulder CO
    Can you give me more info on configuring HDMI-CEC to turn off the receiver when the TV is turned off? I've tried enabling Samsung CEC (AnyNet) and Onkyo CEC (RiHD) and got some strange results, including the TV switching the receiver input from Cbl/Sat (TiVo) to TV/CD after a few seconds of starting playout.

11. JWadle

JWadle TiVo Fan

May 2, 2015
    Boulder CO
    I tried this (using TV's optical digital output for audio), but my TV still passes this audio to the receiver when the TV is turned off.

12. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    I kept forgetting to check the settings when I was at home in front of the TV, but finally did.
    On the TV I have AnyNet set to ON and Power-off Control set to Yes. (Though I don't think I need that later)
    On the receiver I have (under hardware setup -> HDMI) RIHD set to On, Power Control set to On and TV control set to Off.

I think it's that later that keeps the TV from changing receiver inputs - but I've no idea why yours would change to TV/CD. (Though it probably helps that, as far as I know, only my receiver and TV speak CEC - so nothing should ever be telling the TV or receiver to change inputs.)

13. Clay Autery

Clay Autery New Member

Dec 19, 2018
    The KEY to making this work on my ONKYO is to set the codes for TV PWR/VOL/MUTE, TV Input, and AVR VOL/MUTE... in that order.

THEN, using the code for the ONKYO, set the TV PWR again. This somehow ADDS the ONKYO PWR ON/OFF code to the remote, and the TV Pwr button switches the pwr for both TV and AVR.

Now it WILL miss the AVR ON occasionally if I don't have the remote pointed just right. The secret is to hit it again right away before the TV gets ready to receive a code again.

And yes... it does help to have fresh batts.

14. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Battery condition is displayed in System Information:
    TE3:
    TE3-SI-3.JPG

TE4:
    TE4-SI-4.JPG

clay.autery likes this.